Quantcast
paring knife
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: paring knife

paring knife

Okay, time for a good paring knife.

i have shun Santouki 5.5 & 7. Henkel's chef 8" (40 years old but used little until lately and in almost new condition) and a Dexter 6" boning knife, high carbon.

Need a good paring knife. thinking of:

Bob Kramer high carbon (the line intrigues me)

or

Myobi (Myabi?) birch handle.

Ideas? suggestions? Kind of like high carbon.

thanks,

Dennis

I am sure people will chime in. I like my hattori fh parer and my tojiro senkou birds beak, but they are both stainless. Lots of guys just use disposables.From your above mentioned list and the cost of that Kramer parer. A new gyuto would probably make you a lot happier.

I do a lot of citrus with my paring knife, so I prefer them to be stainless. If I were to choose between those two, I would go with the Myabi, but for $170.00 there are some other options to look at. One would be the Hattori FH which has an very comfortable handle or even the Shun classic has been one of my favorites for a long time.

Another great option would be the Konosuke 150mm SS.
    Super thin.takes a great edge and was only $130.00(CAN) you can probably get it for less in the U.S..

Love my Dojo paring knife. Not the prettiest thing but it was cheap (got it 2nd hand) and it's nice hard AS steel.

Wa? The Sakai from BWJ in w2 is really nice and not very reactive. Very thin, I love it for sliding along the rind on melons. I like wa handles, but for a parer I prefer western. Seems to fit in my palm better.

Western? For carbon, the little 120 Kanemasa E series is a really nice knife for "junk" steel, but it is VERY reactive. It will get stupid sharp. Won't break the bank, either. Thin, light, good kanji, if you're into that. To blacken the blade, just cut up a few pounds of strawberries............ Anything larger than a 120 leads to me sticking the tip into my other hand. It must be the knife, can't be my technique......... I wouldn't think the Kanemasa would work well in a pro kitchen. And, just a few $$ less than a Kramer.........

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    There is also Carter's for around 150 ish (us) hand forged in the good old usa too. You may even get the super blue that is a carbon steel.

I really like my Suisin Inox from Jon (Japaneseknifeimports.com). It'd be much cheaper too.

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    I really like my Suisin Inox from Jon (Japaneseknifeimports.com). It'd be much cheaper too.
    Those are incredible looking. I have been meaning to pick one up. Very nice.

Until now I've been using cheap L'econome parers and trashing them....I get them locally for under 10 bucks each. About the only thing I do with my paring knife is turn vegetables.

But the suggestions above have me thinking......