Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: paring knife

Do you have a budget? I also prefer my parers to be stainless, as my smaller knives are much more likely to be exposed to fruit acids. The two most important knifes I use are a parer and a chef's (gyuto). But I agree with another poster that your money is better spent on something better than a Henckel's chef's knife. If you like Shun, you might be able to pick up a discontinued Shun Elite parer for a reasonable price. I've only heard good things about it even though many knifenuts don't like Shun.

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    I really like my Suisin Inox from Jon (Japaneseknifeimports.com). It'd be much cheaper too.
    I bought the same knife about a month ago. I ended up rounding the heel a little because I choke up on the blade so much I was getting pricked by the corner. Very handy size.

One of the most used knives in my house is a Victorinox Serrated parer. Another most used is a Sab parer. Both work beautifully, and the price is right on both of them.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by bkdc View Post
    The two most important knifes I use are a parer and a chef's (gyuto). But I agree with another poster that your money is better spent on something better than a Henckel's chef's knife.
    It's a Henckels from the early 70s, which means it's actually one hell of a knife. I'm as snobby as anyone about my knives, but I have one from around the same time period and it's a great performer.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

It is a Henckels from the 70s. It was left to me, new, and never used until recently, because I did not like the new Henckels. Don't know why. But this one I love. great handle, takes an edge and holds it. My shun knives are not knocking me out. 3 of them. Never use the Shun boning knife. I use my cheap Dexter boners. They don't hold an edge long, but take one easy. Blade is too stiff on Shun boner.
    I might go to Japanese Knife Imports and get a knife. He's local for me. I do like beauty in a knife (Bob Kramer, Myabi (sp?)) but my Dexters are ugly as sin and I love them, so it's time for me to move on and learn.

Just looked. Way too expensive. $150 give or take a bit is my budget.

http://www.epicedge.com/shopdisplayp...ty+and+Garnish

I would buy the parer for sale at B/S/T section of the forum 50 USD is cheap

I will look. How do I get there?