paring knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennis7490

Reaction score
Okay, time for a good paring knife.

i have shun Santouki 5.5 & 7. Henkel's chef 8" (40 years old but used little until lately and in almost new condition) and a Dexter 6" boning knife, high carbon.

Need a good paring knife. thinking of:

Bob Kramer high carbon (the line intrigues me)

or

Myobi (Myabi?) birch handle.

Ideas? suggestions? Kind of like high carbon.

thanks,

Dennis

I am sure people will chime in. I like my hattori fh parer and my tojiro senkou birds beak, but they are both stainless. Lots of guys just use disposables.From your above mentioned list and the cost of that Kramer parer. A new gyuto would probably make you a lot happier.

I do a lot of citrus with my paring knife, so I prefer them to be stainless. If I were to choose between those two, I would go with the Myabi, but for $170.00 there are some other options to look at. One would be the Hattori FH which has an very comfortable handle or even the Shun classic has been one of my favorites for a long time.

Another great option would be the Konosuke 150mm SS.
Super thin.takes a great edge and was only $130.00(CAN) you can probably get it for less in the U.S..

Love my Dojo paring knife. Not the prettiest thing but it was cheap (got it 2nd hand) and it's nice hard AS steel.

Wa? The Sakai from BWJ in w2 is really nice and not very reactive. Very thin, I love it for sliding along the rind on melons. I like wa handles, but for a parer I prefer western. Seems to fit in my palm better.

Western? For carbon, the little 120 Kanemasa E series is a really nice knife for "junk" steel, but it is VERY reactive. It will get stupid sharp. Won't break the bank, either. Thin, light, good kanji, if you're into that. To blacken the blade, just cut up a few pounds of strawberries............ Anything larger than a 120 leads to me sticking the tip into my other hand. It must be the knife, can't be my technique......... I wouldn't think the Kanemasa would work well in a pro kitchen. And, just a few $$ less than a Kramer.........

There is also Carter's for around 150 ish (us) hand forged in the good old usa too. You may even get the super blue that is a carbon steel.

PHP:
I really like my Suisin Inox from Jon (Japaneseknifeimports.com). It'd be much cheaper too.

PHP:
I really like my Suisin Inox from Jon (Japaneseknifeimports.com). It'd be much cheaper too.

Those are incredible looking. I have been meaning to pick one up. Very nice.

Until now I've been using cheap L'econome parers and trashing them....I get them locally for under 10 bucks each. About the only thing I do with my paring knife is turn vegetables.

But the suggestions above have me thinking......

Do you have a budget? I also prefer my parers to be stainless, as my smaller knives are much more likely to be exposed to fruit acids. The two most important knifes I use are a parer and a chef's (gyuto). But I agree with another poster that your money is better spent on something better than a Henckel's chef's knife. If you like Shun, you might be able to pick up a discontinued Shun Elite parer for a reasonable price. I've only heard good things about it even though many knifenuts don't like Shun.

PHP:

I bought the same knife about a month ago. I ended up rounding the heel a little because I choke up on the blade so much I was getting pricked by the corner. Very handy size.

One of the most used knives in my house is a Victorinox Serrated parer. Another most used is a Sab parer. Both work beautifully, and the price is right on both of them.

The two most important knifes I use are a parer and a chef's (gyuto). But I agree with another poster that your money is better spent on something better than a Henckel's chef's knife.

It's a Henckels from the early 70s, which means it's actually one hell of a knife. I'm as snobby as anyone about my knives, but I have one from around the same time period and it's a great performer.

It is a Henckels from the 70s. It was left to me, new, and never used until recently, because I did not like the new Henckels. Don't know why. But this one I love. great handle, takes an edge and holds it. My shun knives are not knocking me out. 3 of them. Never use the Shun boning knife. I use my cheap Dexter boners. They don't hold an edge long, but take one easy. Blade is too stiff on Shun boner.
I might go to Japanese Knife Imports and get a knife. He's local for me. I do like beauty in a knife (Bob Kramer, Myabi (sp?)) but my Dexters are ugly as sin and I love them, so it's time for me to move on and learn.

Just looked. Way too expensive. $150 give or take a bit is my budget.

thanks. Looks good, but i like round, long handles, like the Shun D handles. Just not crazy about shun at this point in time. I did like the the petty from 6/14, for $125, but it was sold. I will keep looking at the b/s/T section.

Thanks,

Dennis

I have the 8" and slicer from the zwilling Kramer line. Love the carbon blade and the razor edge it holds. If in fact you will be working with a lot of citrus or other fruits, the acids will provide a fantastic patina in no time. (That is if you have the patience to deal with the one down side of carbon steel - constant wiping with a towel which simply should be done with all knives, carbon or not). If you do like the "d" shape handle of the Shuns, you might consider this -http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/shun-fuji-honesuki-knife/?pkey=cshun-fuji

For some reason William Sonoma decided to give one of their Shun Fuji a decent price,plus, if you're in the biz you get a 20% discount on top of that... WHich is exactly why I bought it. Its super thin (but not the thinnest), has a rounded spine and holds one hell of an edge. Yes, it's a shun, and from what I can see not a Forum Fav, but for the size and material you can't beet it.

Also, paste http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=89783 to your browser for the utilty by Kramer Zwilling. It's $70 cheaper here than at Sur La Table.

To Dennis From Dennis: Consider the Dojo. The blade has a unique shape that allows you to hold it several different ways. I use the knife a lot to core the stem from tomatoes before blanching. Perfect size for medium to large hands, plus as noted its made of AS steel. Mark suggested the knife to me and was convinces that Dojo was buying drop AS. Works for me. Not cheap but not expensive either.

As I went to the site I noticed that its Out of Stock. Dread. Might be tell tailing

http://www.**************.com/dopakn80.html

One of the most used knives in my house is a Victorinox Serrated parer. Another most used is a Sab parer. Both work beautifully, and the price is right on both of them.
I've stabbed myself more than once with my pointy little Sab parer, always while cleaning or drying the blade. :D

+1 on Victorinox...

Back