Quantcast
What knife set to buy...? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: What knife set to buy...?

  1. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,318
    Okay, not sure what your budget it...here is what i would do
    Gyuto-DEvin Thomas with AEBL-240 mm
    Petty-Hiromoto 150 mm
    Bread knife-tojiro itk
    Steak knives-Warther

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    955
    If you can find the DT ITK is stock I think it's the one knife I've always wanted but never will have.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,318
    Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    If you can find the DT ITK is stock I think it's the one knife I've always wanted but never will have.
    Try epic edge, they have a 270 left.

    Or contact Devin direct.

  4. #14
    For a home chef 210 is long enough.
    The Konosuke is a great choice, its a killer knife.
    There are several Konosuke however. HD, Silver, Stainless, ZDP, white

    I would go for a petty and a parer as well. There is a bread knife and a parer in the B/S/T section atm.

  5. #15
    Thanks for all the replies!

    Here is my list so far;
    Konosuke HD 240mm Gyuto
    Forschner 12" Cimeter - for tougher jobs as I'm worried about using the Japanese knife at first.
    MAC Honesuki 6" Boning knife
    Masamoto Petty Knife
    Tojiro 270mm ITK Bread knife
    Tojiro Steak knives

    I think that should do it for now... - any recommended changes? Next on to sharpening. I can use a steel, but am not real experienced beyond that. What is a good recommendation for a sharpener? Thanks!

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by rxfoote View Post
    Thanks for all the replies!

    Here is my list so far;
    Konosuke HD 240mm Gyuto
    Forschner 12" Cimeter - for tougher jobs as I'm worried about using the Japanese knife at first.
    MAC Honesuki 6" Boning knife
    Masamoto Petty Knife
    Tojiro 270mm ITK Bread knife
    Tojiro Steak knives

    I think that should do it for now... - any recommended changes? Next on to sharpening. I can use a steel, but am not real experienced beyond that. What is a good recommendation for a sharpener? Thanks!
    I'm curious as to what jobs would you be using your Cimeter for. The reason why I ask is because they're not really inexpensive, and there may be better knives out there for your intended use.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    I'm curious as to what jobs would you be using your Cimeter for. The reason why I ask is because they're not really inexpensive, and there may be better knives out there for your intended use.
    My thoughts were melons/squashes/pineapple, anything I'm not real comfortable with at first with the Gyuto...

  8. #18
    Any reviews/opinions on Vulkanus Sharpeners? Thanks!

    I've seen the Edge Pro's but not sure I'd feel confident using them...

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    955
    Squash, melons, pineapple are the best things to use a thin gyuto for. Splitting chickens, you want a western deba.

  10. #20
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pensacola, FL, USA
    Posts
    3,989
    Quote Originally Posted by rxfoote View Post
    Any reviews/opinions on Vulkanus Sharpeners? Thanks!

    I've seen the Edge Pro's but not sure I'd feel confident using them...
    Run away as fast as you can from the Vulkanus Sharpener. It is a knife destroyer, not a sharpener.

    If you do not care to learn freehand sharpening, then the Wicked Edge or Edge Pro devices are worth looking into. The Wicked Edge gets the nod from me because it is capable of sharpening an asymmetrical knife - most Japanese made knives, including the Konosuke HD, are asymmetrical.

    Rick

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •