Quantcast
What knife set to buy...? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What knife set to buy...?

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    Squash, melons, pineapple are the best things to use a thin gyuto for. Splitting chickens, you want a western deba.
    +1

I didn't believe it until I tried it myself. A thin gyuto like the Konosuke will be fine. A cimeter certainly isn't going to be much better, if at all, for those jobs IMHO. I have a Forschner Rosewood 10 inch breaking knife that I rarely use now; I occasionally use it for ribs and brisket, but never for chicken.

A western deba would be good for splitting chickens, or you could just buy a thicker, more durable gyuto for your sturdier tasks. I use my old Global G-2 for those kinds of tasks.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Perhaps, s-c-i-m-i-t-a-r... ?

Or, am I missing something (again), lol.

Quote Originally Posted by add View Post
    Perhaps, s-c-i-m-i-t-a-r... ?

Or, am I missing something (again), lol.
    Same knives: scimitar == cimiter == scimiter.

Michael

... so regardless of splellin then, upswept banana blade ?

Whether it's spelled correctly according to a dictionary is irrelevant. It's the name of a particular item made by a certain maker. Nonetheless, it is an accepted word. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cimeter

But yes, it's a curved, pointed, butchering or slicing knife.
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    +1

A western deba would be good for splitting chickens, or you could just buy a thicker, more durable gyuto for your sturdier tasks. I use my old Global G-2 for those kinds of tasks.
    Just curious as to why the western deba would be better than a regular or mioroshi (sp?)...I think I know the difference, just not the practical difference.

Thanks
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Just curious as to why the western deba would be better than a regular or mioroshi (sp?)...I think I know the difference, just not the practical difference.

Thanks
    Western deba is double bevel, more robust behind the edge. The single bevel true deba is still on the delicate side, I would not be comfortable trying to split a chicken with one.

My banana knife has R.H. Forschner and Victorinox seal stamped on it. Model 803-10 Best used at deer camp, around the smoker and to frighten the nieces and nephews. Quick google shows it spelled 2 maybe 3 ways.

I'm going to zerox this page so I can keep it as reference.
    Dave
    Older and wider.