Special Requests - Make them here

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
I get a lot of special requests and I think some get overlooked or I misplace the contact information.
This makes me look like I don't care or don't take people serious. Which is not the case.
Weekly there are a number of phone calls, emails and PMs from the different forums.
I thought if I posted a thread here it would give me a place to refer to telling me what new woods I need to get as well as a place I can go to so I know who to contact when I get the special stuff back from stabilizing.

With your help I can become more efficient as well as start getting different woods that you might not be able to find otherwise.

If you make a post here with a special request it is not a commitment to buy, but a place to let me know that you think you would want to get a piece or two of that type of wood if you like the way it looks. I am not looking for posts like you should start selling such and such. But more like stuff you think you might want. I hope I am making sense here. Maybe you will see someone make a post like "I want some stabilized Black Palm". If you let me know with a post here that you do as well, that can speed me up getting some.

If there is something you want, that I don't want to carry in my store, I might be able to tell you a good place where you can get it. A lot of us wood guys share information and look at each other as having a common interest instead of as competitors.

That really bizarre palm we were talking about :D

That AMAZING quality quilted maple you had a while back.

I have a piece of maple, quilted on one half and spalted on the other, really cool, and I can't find it. I have a gyuto in process that needs it. :curse: I want more.

I have a piece of maple, quilted on one half and spalted on the other, really cool, and I can't find it. I have a gyuto in process that needs it. :curse: I want more.

Now that sounds cool, need a pic when you find it:)

Iron wood burl, masure birch burl, and you can't go wrong with some sick stabilized spalted maple burl.

not a type of wood but a cut. Wa handles are actually pretty small compared to most of the block sizes available, however often just big enough that you cant get two handles per block. If you were able to use some "scrap" to get one wa handle block or able to "stretch" the dimensions of certain blocks to get two handles, everyone wins.

How about some cheap cocobolo burl? :D

Stefan

That was my first thought.

I more prefer cleaner figure (such as the recent flamed redwood, bog oak, some ebony and mango)as opposed to the very wild burls.

If you do find it I need to buy one extra block. You can send it to SameGuy. He sent me a block of that palm batch you sold.
I think he sent one to MHenry too. That was very nice of him.

Eventually I'll be making my own computer case, and I'd like to do it with burl woods. It's still a long ways off, but it would be nice to be able to get custom size boards of stabilized woods if at all possible.

Omg why did I read that? Now I am thinking. NO... NO....no... ah ok

I REALLY loved that red morrell you had.I wish I would have bought more,I want to make a handle for myself with it.

Wow Claro walnut looks sweet.
dtmp71c.jpg

I saw something about Cypress wood on "Swamp People". Apparently doesn't rot, this that and the other. Wondering how it would be as handle

Australian - Tasmanian Blackheart Sassafras burlwood. (Atherosperma moschatum). It is almost always spalted, and the good stuff is absolutely gorgeous.

Last edited:
More thuya burl would be nice--and a chance to actually buy some before it gets scarfed up like this recent batch

Mark, how about getting some darker colored wood for sayas? I loved the redwood I got from you and would like to see more, perhaps even some walnut.

How about finding some more of that olive burl that you've been toying us with:thumbsup:

more Saya Making Materials & spalted Hackberry block

Back