Another "which knife?" thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muscles

Reaction score
What type of knife(s) do you think you want? Wa-Petty 120/150mm with Saya

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing? Replacing Scanpan Block set. Already have Gyuto's, Nakiri and Santoku. This one is for the Mrs

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
Aesthetics- meh
Edge Quality/Retention- She has chipped the scanpans several times by chopping on the marble counter top
Ease of Use- N/A
Comfort- Slippery when wet

What grip do you use? She uses hammer grip

What kind of cutting motion do you use? Push cut

Where do you store them? This one will be stored in a drawer

Have you ever oiled a handle? No

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use? She uses small poly boards if at all

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing? Was honing Scanpans for her but will sharpen on synthetics/J-nats and strop on leather

Have they ever been sharpened? Yes, on DMT8C and Naniwa 1k

What is your budget? $150 inc Saya

What do you cook and how often? I do most of the cooking but she will use this mainly for fruit and veg and occasional proteins. She is scared of large knives but I think she will warm to the Nakiri I got from Maxim

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)? Edge retention over aesthetics or price. Doesn't need to be razor sharp but do want durable. Must have Saya. She is rough on the knives but has shown an interest in the new J-Knives I have and this makes me think she will treat a new Wa-Petty with more respect than she has shown previously...

Welcome Muscles. When I originally read your thread title and saw your name all I could think was you don't need a knife, use your muscles! :justkidding:

I can't reccomend much as the only Wa-petty I have is a single bevel (I think I'll have to change that... time to follow this thread) but the Ginga are getting good reviews lately as great price per value knife currently.

Only thing I can really say is make sure she'll respect it before you get it, one smack on the counter and you well know that good japanese steel will chip or lose its edge quite quickly.

A little over budget, but you might both enjoy a Carter funayuki perhaps.

Welcome! Are you familiar with the Geshin Ginga line? They are in budget and come with a saya.

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...a/gesshin-ginga-120mm-stainless-wa-petty.html

The GG's look good, would Stainless be the best option for edge retention?

Welcome Muscles. When I originally read your thread title and saw your name all I could think was you don't need a knife, use your muscles! :justkidding:

LOL

I can't reccomend much as the only Wa-petty I have is a single bevel (I think I'll have to change that... time to follow this thread) but the Ginga are getting good reviews lately as great price per value knife currently.

Only thing I can really say is make sure she'll respect it before you get it, one smack on the counter and you well know that good japanese steel will chip or lose its edge quite quickly.

I hear ya, maybe I should start with a lower prices petty first and see how she treats it...

A little over budget, but you might both enjoy a Carter funayuki perhaps.

I know I would enjoy that, but I wouldn't let her near it so it would kind of defeat the purpose of this acquisition :)

Carbonext sankotu

I have a Zensho 180mm santoku and she thinks it's big, probably blade height more than length concerning her so will try to stick to petty or similar profile.

I guess my main question to the experts (you guys) is what metal would you choose in these circumstances? I can stretch budget but prefer not to if I can avoid it...

+ 1 on Carter

I have a 150ish Carter and my GF uses it every day. She loves it .)

No stock of Carters and JKI not shipping to Australia so still on the hunt... May need to look at western handles to increase my choices but really prefer a WA and a Saya. Any other suggestions?

JCK has so many options and such affordable shipping that there is no excuse for not being able to find something usable. Plus the customer service is beyond reproach.

Back