Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tadatsuna

lol ... a throwback to the brand of the month some time ago, now its kono or whatever you prefer. Aframes has em and in steady suply, Koki is super cool to work with and any name brand you want he can order and have to you in about a month or so. i tend to let the website be more of a "what i can get" situation more than a "what i have around...deal with it", as long as u dont mind a couple weeks for order. he can often work with handle shapes and preferences too.

do you have or have used all three?

i have always heard the comparison of the tad to the suisin IH but not the ginga
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"

Another one for the Tadatsuna-Suisin Sakai-gyuto group is the Konosuke white#2 gyuto, which is pretty much identical to the Tad (I'd guess the Konosuke HD is in the same ballpark).

Hi all

I actually just visited Tadatsuna (Nagata Hamono) in Sakai on Thurs, 28 June. I had a look in the modest shop/showroom, met Nagata-san, his wife, and daughters, and even his or his wife's mother, who seem to live in the attached house. He also showed me the adjoining workshop where they grind, attach handles and sharpen/polish. I watched him put the finishing touches on a slick mirror-finish usuba. Great visit.

Anyway, the operation is modest, like the front shop, and along with Nagata there were 2 other men - all there would be space for - up to things in the workshop. Nonetheless, I can report that they seemed busy and there certainly seemed to be no stop in business.

Maybe this thread started because someone noticed the itkichenknife.com site is down? I don't know why, but I got their card when I left and it lists www.hamono21.co.jp as the site address. All in Japanese, but if you know the kanji you'll spot it there.

I hadn't read this thread before my visit and so didn't investigate. Was just there to see what I could see and perhaps buy something. (Budgeting, but very happy to leave with a Shirogami #2 kirouchi nakiri.)

Hope this helps
    Kev

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Snips View Post
    do you have or have used all three?

i have always heard the comparison of the tad to the suisin IH but not the ginga
    Yup. Between the three (plus the KonHD) the IT has the poorest edge retention. It isn't bad but the others are clearly better. All have nice fit and finish but I'd give the edge to Suisin and Ginga. Suisin has the largest handles, followed by the IT. I like that but it isn't a huge factor. I think the Suisin has the best edge retention but I like the sharpenability of the Ginga best.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutty Sharp View Post
    Hi all

I actually just visited Tadatsuna (Nagata Hamono) in Sakai on Thurs, 28 June. I had a look in the modest shop/showroom, met Nagata-san, his wife, and daughters, and even his or his wife's mother, who seem to live in the attached house. He also showed me the adjoining workshop where they grind, attach handles and sharpen/polish. I watched him put the finishing touches on a slick mirror-finish usuba. Great visit.

Anyway, the operation is modest, like the front shop, and along with Nagata there were 2 other men - all there would be space for - up to things in the workshop. Nonetheless, I can report that they seemed busy and there certainly seemed to be no stop in business.

Maybe this thread started because someone noticed the itkichenknife.com site is down? I don't know why, but I got their card when I left and it lists www.hamono21.co.jp as the site address. All in Japanese, but if you know the kanji you'll spot it there.

I hadn't read this thread before my visit and so didn't investigate. Was just there to see what I could see and perhaps buy something. (Budgeting, but very happy to leave with a Shirogami #2 kirouchi nakiri.)

Hope this helps
    Kev

Welcome!
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Yup. Between the three (plus the KonHD) the IT has the poorest edge retention. It isn't bad but the others are clearly better. All have nice fit and finish but I'd give the edge to Suisin and Ginga. Suisin has the largest handles, followed by the IT. I like that but it isn't a huge factor. I think the Suisin has the best edge retention but I like the sharpenability of the Ginga best.
    I have not used the Ginga or Tad but thanks for the info. I really like the Suisin IH and I am still enjoying my Kono very much. I just haven't read that the Ginga was comparable to these three as far as their overall profile/geometry/f&f etc
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    are you referring to a ginga stainless and a tad white steel?

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Welcome!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    are you referring to a ginga stainless and a tad white steel?
    Sorry. I'm comparing the stainless. I've tried a couple of white steel laser knives (not the IT) but frankly, I haven't seen much of a difference between them and the edge retention isn't nearly as good as stainless or semistainless, in my kitchen.