Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tadatsuna

ya for a laser i would go stainless every time

anything more and i would begin to look into carbon
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Snips View Post
    ya for a laser i would go stainless every time

anything more and i would begin to look into carbon
    For edge retention or other reasons?
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

ya, stainless can hold up more and when they are that thin, i dont feel like the sharpness of the carbon affects performance like it would for a thicker knife
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"

For me, I just don't see much of a difference in the sharpness in Ginga vs carbon plus it's stainless so anybody can use it and acid doesn't kill the edge too quickly. Unless you want patina, or ultra easy sharpening, there isn't much reason to go with carbon. I use carbon for fun, mainly. Another cool thing about the Ginga is Jon might be tweaking the profiles on them.

Yeah, I still like the white steel Tadatsuna. At this point the patina is bombproof (literally, I couldn't get it to rust without polishing the face) and it's just so easy to sharpen to near perfection. The only downside of these lasers is that they are so fun, they don't last that long. Mine is at some funky middle ground between being a gyuto and a suji.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Another cool thing about the Ginga is Jon might be tweaking the profiles on them.
    PLZ HURRAY JON.

I have the Inox Tadatsuna Gyuto, and a suji, my friend at work has a couple Gingas (not a gyuto though), I have used Kono HD's, kono whites, like TK said, the IT just doesn't last. It gets sharp as all hell, I have only sharpened the Tadatsunas out of the listed knives. They sharpen real well, and fast for stainless knives, but it doesn't last for an hour, not polyboard friendly at all, I still use mine every day, but there is better options. IT, Suisin, Gesshin Ginga, Konosuke, all of these knives fit and finish are ridiculous for wa style knives, I haven't seen a bad one yet, compared to some of the other mid range japanese knives, they are really at the top when it comes to their finish.

The guys at work seem to really like Konosukes, we have every variation from zdp 189 konos to mystery steel damascus. I have held the Suisin Inox honyaki and it 'seems' similar to the Tadatsuna, but I hear they are better at holding an edge. For a gyuto I would go with the Suisin, the ginga looks 'bellyish' or is it me? I would very highly recommend the Ikkanshi Tadatsuna Suji or petty, something you aren't going to have heavy board contact with, but no way on the gyuto, atleast if you are rough pull cutter like me. I bang on the table like Stevie Wonder is playing on the radio. Well, that's my rant, don't think I really brought anything new to this discussion, but thought I would let you know how I feel about these knives since I have seen, touched and used a lot of them, too bad I haven't sharpened them all, I think that would tell a better story.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    PLZ HURRAY JON.
    oh man the word is out. looking forward to it. i got a kono hd "new gyuto style/funayuki" on order. i love everything about sakai lasers, the only real drawback for any of them has always been a little too much curve towards the tip(i thinks konosuke might be the worst). Usually i just get accustomed to it, its not really a big deal.
    i often dream about the perfect gyuto. maybe a suisin handle with hd or other semi stainless steel combined with ashi craftsmanship. i know it sounds corny but i just had to say it. I agree that stainless varieties of gesshin, konosuke, suisin and yusuke are superior overall to their white steel counterparts but I happen to be in a position at work where i can do touch ups everyday or every other day so for me using white steel actually prevails because i can maintain that scary sharpness easily.

A guy at work has the funayuki kono, not the hd, the fujiyama or whatever the white is, very nice looking knife, good profile. Hope you like it.

What is it about the Tad that causes its edge not to last? The HT? Too soft?