The wait is killing me!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EBSDallas

Reaction score
I ordered my first Boardsmith cutting board a few weeks ago and the wait is just driving me nuts, especially after seeing photos of boards other forum members have.

I'm sure it will be worth the wait but in the meantime I feel like a kid waiting on Christmas.

EBS

You've only been waiting a few weeks, that's just a blink of an eye. I ordered a custom board 12 weeks ago and I don't have the slightest idea when David will be done. I asked for something special so all I know is, I'll get it when I get it.

Yes, I had a long wait, but it was worth it. It is very simply the best. Waiting is relative. Wait til you start ordering custom knives:D

Yes, I had a long wait, but it was worth it. It is very simply the best. Waiting is relative. Wait til you start ordering custom knives:D

Amen to that! I'm about 8 weeks out from my custom board order....but that's nothing compared to the 1+ year wait for my Shig Usuba...that I'm only in month 2...:bashhead:

Took me a while to get mine. Just long enough that when it arrived, it felt like I got it for free!

I don't even really remember the wait time though, I've had it longer than that already and will have it until I die or my house burns down.

It's worth the wait!!! I got rid of my Boos boards when I received my first Boardsmith board. It was so difficult to stare at such a magnificent board not cut on it while I was seasoning it for over a week. I tell everyone I know about the Boardsmith. I'm still waiting for my second walnut board.

I got home one day last week to find that UPS had left a present on the doorstep. The only problem was a bunged up spot on one edge of the box. I opened it up and sure enough, in spite of the foam surround, they'd scarred up a spot on one edge. %^$#% UPS &*%%))#@!!!. I sent several photos to David who assured me that I could repair the damage:

DSC_5534_1024x681.jpg

DSC_5534_Detail.jpg

I was extremely hesitant to try this as I'm not experienced at woodworking but David patiently answered all of my questions before I started (and I had a LOT of them).

Here it is after applying the fix:

DSC_5561_Cropped_1024x734.jpg

The wait was well worth it the board looks great!

Thanks David!

Everett

The fix was rather easy and one everyone should know. You can use it on just about any wooden implement.

Wet a cloth and cover the damaged area. Apply a hot iron, set at the hottest temperature, the the damaged area for just a second or two. Once the water evaporates, move the cloth to a new damp area and apply the iron for a second or two again. The steam will expand the crushed wood fibers and make them raise lmost back to their original state. Repeat as needed.

Sand lightly with a 150 or higher grit paper and then oil. In the case of this dent I suggested a sanding block be used with the sandpaper to produce a smooth and even edge. Then the surface the cloth touched was sanded lightly to reduce the fuzzy feel and then oiled.

As I said, a quick fix and something everyone needs to know about.

Good job!

BTW This damage was slight. You should see some of the damage UPS can do to a wooden board. Makes a grown man cry! :dazed:

Nice job with the fix!! Good to know for wooden stuff. I tried this on some old rifles stocks I had and it actually worked!

I will be trying this on a banged up knife block very soon. Thanks Dave!!!

I was thinking that was the fix. I have used a drop of water in the dent, heated with a soldering iron, wet towel and iron is a good one to know for larger areas.

The reason a cloth is used with an iron is the cloth helps to prevent the surrounding wood from becoming burned and the heat from the iron isn't enough to char the wood as opposed to a soldering iron which is much hotter. Also the cloth holds the steam closer to the wood where an uncovered drop of water will merely evaporate away much quicker. Both will work but the method with a cloth is a bit safer for the average person.

I have had small dents in the surface of a board I was able to fix with just a drop of water and no heat. The wood wasn't finished so the water was able to swell the wood fibers easier.

Thanks for the tip, David. Would this work on a well-seasoned board that has been treated with board butter regularly?

Oh, great-looking board, Everett!

Great looking board, and a useful tip! I'm glad it worked out for you, I can imagine being quite pissed, ups has a knife on it's way to me now and this post has me on pins and needles. I've already had one knife show up with a bent tip because it was dropped, in it's packaging, till the fairly well packed knife managed to cut through about 3 inches of cardboard, tape, packaging paper and more carboard to find the nice cement stoop the ups man left it on.

I had them bend a pristine 1965 issue of the Justice League( a primarily black cover btw- which is very hard to find without white creases at any age ) nearly in half. It's pretty heartbreaking to see a fairly fragile periodical make it over 35 years without any major damage, only to fall low to a careless UPS worker...

Beautiful board! David is without peer not only with his boards, but his customer service. Glad he was able to talk you through the damage fix.

That is one great looking board...Congrats!

Dave

Latest posts

Back