Quantcast
The wait is killing me! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The wait is killing me!

That is one beautiful board Everett, congrats.

Beautiful!!

Really great looking board!

Still Plays With Blocks
    Home Furnishings Capital of the World, High Point, NC
    The fix was rather easy and one everyone should know. You can use it on just about any wooden implement.

Wet a cloth and cover the damaged area. Apply a hot iron, set at the hottest temperature, the the damaged area for just a second or two. Once the water evaporates, move the cloth to a new damp area and apply the iron for a second or two again. The steam will expand the crushed wood fibers and make them raise lmost back to their original state. Repeat as needed.

Sand lightly with a 150 or higher grit paper and then oil. In the case of this dent I suggested a sanding block be used with the sandpaper to produce a smooth and even edge. Then the surface the cloth touched was sanded lightly to reduce the fuzzy feel and then oiled.

As I said, a quick fix and something everyone needs to know about.

Good job!

BTW This damage was slight. You should see some of the damage UPS can do to a wooden board. Makes a grown man cry!

Nice job with the fix!! Good to know for wooden stuff. I tried this on some old rifles stocks I had and it actually worked!

I will be trying this on a banged up knife block very soon. Thanks Dave!!!

I was thinking that was the fix. I have used a drop of water in the dent, heated with a soldering iron, wet towel and iron is a good one to know for larger areas.

Still Plays With Blocks
    Home Furnishings Capital of the World, High Point, NC
    The reason a cloth is used with an iron is the cloth helps to prevent the surrounding wood from becoming burned and the heat from the iron isn't enough to char the wood as opposed to a soldering iron which is much hotter. Also the cloth holds the steam closer to the wood where an uncovered drop of water will merely evaporate away much quicker. Both will work but the method with a cloth is a bit safer for the average person.

I have had small dents in the surface of a board I was able to fix with just a drop of water and no heat. The wood wasn't finished so the water was able to swell the wood fibers easier.

Thanks for the tip, David. Would this work on a well-seasoned board that has been treated with board butter regularly?

Oh, great-looking board, Everett!

Great looking board, and a useful tip! I'm glad it worked out for you, I can imagine being quite pissed, ups has a knife on it's way to me now and this post has me on pins and needles. I've already had one knife show up with a bent tip because it was dropped, in it's packaging, till the fairly well packed knife managed to cut through about 3 inches of cardboard, tape, packaging paper and more carboard to find the nice cement stoop the ups man left it on.

+ Reply to Thread