Alternative to Suehiro 8000

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdipisReks

Founding Member
Reaction score
i broke out my Suehiro 8000 stone (the white one), today. i love the results i get from this thing. very aggressive, yet refined. quick cutter, considering the grit. however, i absolutely hate the feel of the stone. it is too hard, very thirsty and always feels chalky. any suggestions for a replacement? some steels really need the more aggressive edge i get from this stone, and it's a stone i use whenever i'm going to be cutting a lot of tomatoes, but i don't like using it much. i have a Kitayama, a 10kSS and a nice Asagi, and none of them due what this stone does.

no suggestions on a finisher that gives an aggressive edge while being pleasant to use?

i already have a fine asagi, so i've dipped my toe a bit. i've been eying that stone for quite a while now. thanks!

I like coticule for a lot of blades. It doesn't do well on extremely wear resistant steels. Any typical carbon or stainless is fine though.

If you want to dip a toe in the natural pond, the Takashima Awasedo from JKI leaves a nice toothy edge.

Takashima leaves a great soft mirror finish too, if you use it to polish a wide convex bevel. aframes also has one currently.

I like coticule for a lot of blades. It doesn't do well on extremely wear resistant steels. Any typical carbon or stainless is fine though.

a coticule is something i've been looking at for a while. none of my knives are super wear resistant, so that would probably work great. thanks!

Back