N(TM)KD

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SameGuy

much more awesomer
Reaction score
New (To Me) Knife Day!

The postman dropped off a poster tube yesterday, with Australian postmarks on it. Well-packed inside was a gorgeous, 300mm Masamoto KS yanagiba. Jesse was obviously very careful with this knife before it made its way to me; it is in like-new condition from end to end. There is a lustrous patina over the entire kiriba while the hagane gleams below. On the back, the ura is pristine. The blade is as flat as Nebraska, and the ebony Kono handle is about as strikingly cool as Darth Vader flying a B-2!

Excuse the crappy shots (done in less than optimal lighting):

DSCN1895.JPG

DSCN1897.JPG

DSCN1901.JPG

Maybe a couple more pics when I can get it outside under sunlight...

Sweet. A yanagiba is in my future (I hope). Enjoy!

Was this the deal of the century yanagiba?

Yep. :D I've got another 300 in my near future and I'll probably only be keeping one, but that, too, was too good to pass on...

Looks nice.

How thin is it?

I haven't taken calipers to it. But I'm not sure how "thin" applies to a traditional single-bevel knife as this is my first. How thin is a thin 300 mm yanagi supposed to be? The hagane is polished beautifully, though, making me realize the white-2 on my KS gyuto is in dire need of some upkeep.

Glad to see it in good hands! It's such a great blade. I only ever took it to 5k, I imagine there's more potential to unlock ;)

Congrats on a very cool acquisition!

Got to use it this morning breaking an 11-pound Canada AAA (equivalent to USDA Prime) strip loin into 12 huge steaks. Un-freaking-real. I left the silverskin and extra fat on, but the blade went through from the top to just nudging the silver on one draw. Gently lifting the loin off the board and another tiny motion cut the skin and fat. I'm tickled; I can't wait to buy some tuna and salmon now.

Couple of teaser cellphone pics -- will take better ones later....

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

Suisin 300 ginsanko from Jon. The F&F is absolutely jaw-dropping. I can't wait until I can get it sharpened -- no way will I be practicing first-time single-bevel sharpening on this. I'm looking to pick up a cheap cheap yanagi to that real soon now.

Back