Quantcast
Yoshihiro blue #2 wa-gyuto. - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yoshihiro blue #2 wa-gyuto.

These are the specs I was given when I inquired some time ago.

Weight: 8.2 OZ
    Length tip-to-heel:10-3/4"
    Thickness at heel: 1/8" and at tip: difficult to check
    Height at heel: 2"

Ended up going with the blue #1 240mm gyuto. Jon and I had talked about Zakuri a while back when I was looking for something to replace the mizuno gyuto that I sold to a co-worker but never pulled the trigger. Love that the blade length runs true to a tad long. Any sharpening tips for double bevel wide beveled knives like this? this will be a first for me.

Congrats, I'd love to see some pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Fed View Post
    Any sharpening tips for double bevel wide beveled knives like this? this will be a first for me.
    Congrats on the new knife! We disussed this in another thread recently, can't recall which one though. Basically, check out John vid's on sharpening single bevel knives. Wide bevel knives CAN be looked at the same way single bevels knives are sharpened, in that they have a hamguri edge, except double bevel knives have two, one on each side.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

Heard. I'm fairly confident in my single bevel sharpening and figured that this was the case. Thanks for the info :-)

I sharpen mine like a single bevel knife with a clean shinogi line, and also switch to holding the knife with my left hand while sharpening the left hand side bevel to keep a mirror scratch pattern, but it still looks a bit more ugly compared with the right side bevel. A finger stone helps covering up my mirror hand sharpening inadequacy.

NKD thread and pics coming soon. Just wanted to say that even though the blade was a little cockeyed from the handle ( an easy fix ) this blade while thicker than most knives in my kit it cuts like a much thinner knife with minimal wedging in carrots potatoes and almost no noticeable wedging in even softball sized onions. Very surprised by this. I sharpened the factory micro bevel and the blue 1 core feels nice and hard though still buttery on the stones and after a days work I'm sure only a light stropping will bring it right back. Can't wait to put her to the natural stone progression and put a nice natural polish on these bevels.

+ Reply to Thread