Yoshihiro blue #2 wa-gyuto.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-Fed

Reaction score
Having shifted the majority of my knives from carbon to stainless/ semi-stainless I'm beginning to yearn again for a little carbon in my life and was simply wondering if anyone has seen or used this blade.

Something I just realized. Whenever I'm entertaining the idea of getting another carbon blade that is a little on the heftier side I almost always forget about zakuri. Those of you that have handled and or own a zakuri how does the length run? Ive found that 240 western handled to 270 wa-handled is my ideal range for length.

I don't have a gyuto, but my Zakuri 165 is 165 on the blade...and I like it.

Something I just realized. Whenever I'm entertaining the idea of getting another carbon blade that is a little on the heftier side I almost always forget about zakuri. Those of you that have handled and or own a zakuri how does the length run? Ive found that 240 western handled to 270 wa-handled is my ideal range for length.

The 240 Zakuri wa-gyuto I had measured 241.5 mm on the edge, overall blade length (tip to handle) of 255 mm.

The 240 Zakuri wa-gyuto I had measured 241.5 mm on the edge, overall blade length (tip to handle) of 255 mm.
Must be the same one I have here in front of me. I measured 242 mm tip to heel with my ruler.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it doesn't seem to be a laser, though not overly thick either. It is blue 2 mono steel which is the thing that intrigues me the most.

I've given that knife a few looks myself, I sent the seller a note about some more details on it. All I remember off hand is he said it was hardened to 63 HRC. I remember the height being a little short for my tastes, something like 42-43mm, I think.

My zakuri blue #1 240 has 240+ edge length. It's a little beast, but now a bit thinner and cleaner.

These are the specs I was given when I inquired some time ago.

Weight: 8.2 OZ
Length tip-to-heel:10-3/4"
Thickness at heel: 1/8" and at tip: difficult to check
Height at heel: 2"

Ended up going with the blue #1 240mm gyuto. Jon and I had talked about Zakuri a while back when I was looking for something to replace the mizuno gyuto that I sold to a co-worker but never pulled the trigger. Love that the blade length runs true to a tad long. Any sharpening tips for double bevel wide beveled knives like this? this will be a first for me.

Any sharpening tips for double bevel wide beveled knives like this? this will be a first for me.

Congrats on the new knife! We disussed this in another thread recently, can't recall which one though. Basically, check out John vid's on sharpening single bevel knives. Wide bevel knives CAN be looked at the same way single bevels knives are sharpened, in that they have a hamguri edge, except double bevel knives have two, one on each side.

Heard. I'm fairly confident in my single bevel sharpening and figured that this was the case. Thanks for the info :)

I sharpen mine like a single bevel knife with a clean shinogi line, and also switch to holding the knife with my left hand while sharpening the left hand side bevel to keep a mirror scratch pattern, but it still looks a bit more ugly compared with the right side bevel. A finger stone helps covering up my mirror hand sharpening inadequacy.

NKD thread and pics coming soon. Just wanted to say that even though the blade was a little cockeyed from the handle ( an easy fix ) this blade while thicker than most knives in my kit it cuts like a much thinner knife with minimal wedging in carrots potatoes and almost no noticeable wedging in even softball sized onions. Very surprised by this. I sharpened the factory micro bevel and the blue 1 core feels nice and hard though still buttery on the stones and after a days work I'm sure only a light stropping will bring it right back. Can't wait to put her to the natural stone progression and put a nice natural polish on these bevels.

Latest posts

Back