Deburring with Felt

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benuser

from The Netherlands, EU.
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have tried to deburr with felt. Quite aggressive when cut in: works fine between coarse stones; I've noticed some rounding when used further in the progression, though. Some seem to use it for stropping as well.
As these are just very first impressions, please share your experience!

I recently made myself a felt thingy with a 23cent scrap I bought at Wal-Mart. I covered a plastic case(that a Norton stone came in) with the felt and hot-glued it on. It works great for deburring when using my coarse stones and is honestly the ONLY thing I can find to lose the wire edge on my (POS) VG-10 gyuto. I haven't used it enough on high grit but definitely will this weekend.

I use cork, but have not tried felt. Cork seems to work fine for me, and I seem to have an endless supply:)

I like the little felt blocks. They are probably the best tool I have for removing stubborn burrs. That said, I rarely pull one out. Like chinacats, I always seem to have a cork within arms reach. Doesn't everyone have a glass of wine while sharpening?

I find that cork doesn't always clean off the edge for me. Sometimes - depends on the knife - but not reliably. Felt block plus felt pad though gets it clean reliably.

What kind of felt works well to rid of stubborn burrs and wires? Will I have to get something from Dave or can I just go somewhere locally and pick something up?

I drag the edge through wood often, but still, burrs and wire edges are stubborn for me.

I have no idea where to get this stuff. I got mine from Dave. If you make a few light passes on a finishing type stone, the burrs will come off a lot easier. I don't even attempt to remove a burr until I reach 5k grit.

I use hard felt constantly. I couldn't do as good a job without it, at least not without a great hassle.

Love felt block. Better than cork for me. Good bye stubborn wire edges. Got mine for 5 bucks. Yes it's pricey for what it is but it does remove a headache.

I use good old american rawhide Doggy Bones
53cd0c1e0b3bfca1d03d6c478b6d6301.jpg

or I use coconut shell
ttar_coconut_02_v_launch.jpg

I have no idea where to get this stuff. I got mine from Dave. If you make a few light passes on a finishing type stone, the burrs will come off a lot easier. I don't even attempt to remove a burr until I reach 5k grit.

The felt block I use is made by Hand American (same company that makes the strops and stropping base). Just Google search it. You'll find it.

The felt block I use is made by Hand American (same company that makes the strops and stropping base). Just Google search it. You'll find it.
You can get blocks from HA but I don't think they "make" it. Regardless, since Don is a knifemaker, I suspected he wanted a wholesale chunk of it and not have to pay someone to cut it up into little blocks for him. I'm sure you can find well-priced bulk amounts online, too.

Get some regular linen or canvas Micarta, rough up one side of it with like 80-100 grit sandpaper and strop on that. Seems to work pretty well for me usually in removing burrs.

I might add that (for me) stropping to remove a burr has always been more successful that cutting through cork or any other material. Has anyone ever stropped on a cork board for burr removal?

Back