Quantcast
Pics of three Yamawaku knives
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pics of three Yamawaku knives

Pics of three Yamawaku knives

Greetings,

Based on comments in this forum, my very first Japanese knife purchase was of three Yamawaku knives on EBay. While waiting for them to arrive from Japan, I also ordered and received a couple of other knives from ****. Call me impatient. Or addicted. Since I found so much useful info on this forum, I thought I would give a little back and post a couple of pics. I lined them up against the two other knives I have for comparison. In order they are:

Konosuke HD Wa-Gyuto 270mm, 182g
    Yamawaku Wa-Gyuto 240mm, 226g
    Moritaka Supreme Nakiri 165mm, 142g
    Yamawaku Nakiri 165mm, 162g
    Yamawaku Petty 150mm, 81g

That is a shadow on the petty in the first pic, not discoloration. I did not want to use the flash and got in the way of the overhead light. Duh. The pics don't show it very well, but the front of the blade on the Yamawaku nakiri is rounded, I guess to keep it from digging into the cutting board. I can get a lot closer and show more detail, if anyone is interested. Didn't want to tie up excess bandwidth with too many pics.

I have only briefly tested the Yamawaku nakiri and the petty. Both have decent edges OOTB (through a loupe they look pretty clean), but I will be sharpening all of them over the weekend. If nothing else, it is an excuse to play with my Edge Pro. I was surprised at how much heavier they were compared to my other knives. The 240mm Gyuto is actually heavier than the 270mm Konosuke by a lot. I don't know which is more typical of a Japanese knife. The finish on the Yamawakus (and the Moritaka), whatever it is called, looks pretty cool, but I do like the cleaner look of the Konosuke better. I can see now that my purchases will be evolving over time. Maybe next will be something Damascus (I like the look of the Tanaka Sekiso Damascus line)?

Anyway, that's it for my meager little collection. if anyone has any particular questions, I will do my best to answer them. Thanks for the opportunity to give just a little bit back.

Bill
    THAT was the equation. EXISTENCE!...SURVIVAL..must cancel out..programming!

I really like all three. The gyuto has me wanting to own it! Haha
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Sweet! Looks like you are building a nice collection.

Cheers!
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    congrats, they all look great. Now get to chawppin' and send us some feedback on how they all do.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

The finish is called kurouchi, and the weight is about average. The Konosuke knives (and the like) are ridiculously light compared to pretty much everything. That "super model" type knife has been popular for a few years now, so there are lots of them floating around, but I still wouldn't consider it the norm. Hand forged knives tend heavier as well, as they thicken towards t he tang.
    Congrats on picking up a new habit.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Nice Bill, congratulations.

Two nakiris? Couldn't choose just one?

I'll be interested to hear your impressions after you have had a chance to use and sharpen them all a bit.

-Johnny

"Kurouchi"! Thanks. Had found it, lost it, now it's burned into my brain. Thanks for the head's up on weight. I had seen the term 'laser' WRT the Konosuke and some others, which I had only ever seen before as a means of cutting out the blank, when used in reference to knives. Here, I guess it refers to the thinness of the blade?

I have two nakiris, because, at first, Mr. Nakaota from EBay (330mate) said the petty could not be made and the gyuto was on backorder for a while. So, I cancelled the order and placed one for the Konosuke and the Morikata with Mark. An hour later, I got an email from Mr. Nakaota that the knives could all be made (note the different wood for the petty handle). So, I kept both orders. After all, like guns, can one ever own too many knives?

Will use them this week and report back.
    THAT was the equation. EXISTENCE!...SURVIVAL..must cancel out..programming!

The Konosuke makes me want to buy it. Nakiris look fun.

i like the profile on the Yamawaku gyuto.

nice collection

+ Reply to Thread