Quantcast
Hot Vinegar Patina
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot Vinegar Patina

Hot Vinegar Patina

I've heard folks mention giving new carbon knives a rinse under hot water or vinegar to reduce reactivity, but I never thought of a full immersion in boiling vinegar:
    - Interesting the way that the vinegar starts to foam and bubble after a few minutes. The first time I saw that, I woulda chickened and yanked my knife out.

I like the results. More pictures here:
    http://www.lewisrazors.com/#/41-gallery/
    and:
    http://www.straightrazordesigns.com/...-razor-gallery

Have any of you straight razor junkies out there uses any of his work / heard reviews? I really like his style.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    Have any of you straight razor junkies out there uses any of his work / heard reviews? I really like his style.
    Yes, I do have a few razors from Charlie.
    Stellar stuff, his work on steel is up there with the very best of them.
    His design style is very unique and out of the box.
    A Lewis razor is a true work of art in my book

I've got a Tojiro ITK petty that is getting an overhaul, I think I'll try that tomorrow to see what happens.

Thanks for the nudge....................

R

Quote Originally Posted by Birnando View Post
    Yes, I do have a few razors from Charlie.
    Stellar stuff, his work on steel is up there with the very best of them.
    His design style is very unique and out of the box.
    A Lewis razor is a true work of art in my book
    Cool! Good to hear. Ive been thinking about getting into the straight razor world for years, but just never pulled the trigger because all of the really cool stuff that ive liked has been $1000.... But the prices on Lewis's work seems like a bargain for cool-looking hand-forged stuff.

Won't the heat screw up the temper?
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    It's gotta get over about 400F/200C to mess up the temper.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    I'm definitely no metallagician, but I'm fairly sure that 213 degrees F isn't hot enough to mess with the temper of steel. Maybe wrong though.

In that case, I'll have to give it a shot.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I gave this a shot with my Fowler custom poultry killer. I had mirror polished it, but lost the hamon in the process. The chicken & turkey patina wasn't particularly pretty, so I stripped it off and started with clean steel.
    I really should have broken out the DSLR to shoot the video, my phone just doesn't handle color on reflective objects very well. The etch / patina is actually much darker than it appears in the videos. I'd say that they pre-cleaned etch is like 85% black. The finished result (after 3 cycles of etch & clean) is a dark, rich silver grey. Call it maybe 50-60% grey. Kind of like the dark grey metalic finish that you see on some cars.
    The main thing though is that it REALLY brought out the contrast in the steel. Not only is the hamon clearly visible, you there are all of these little "waves" that run parallel along the blade road. I don't know how clear they are in the video, but they are pretty obvious in person, even after sharpening and polishing the bevel.

Here's the bath:

Here it is right out of the first etching bath and pre-cleaning. -It was BLACK.

After 3 etching and cleaning (w/ steel wool, water, paper towel) cycles. The finish didn't get much darker, but it did get much more even after each round:

After polishing the bevel (w/ j-nat) and sharpening. Again the video doesn't really do it justice; in person, the contrast between the first plane and the blade road/bevel is very high. The first plane or side of the knife where you can see the hamon is dark metalic grey and the bevel is a silver, misty mirror polish.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    that is cool.
    Chewie's the man.