Quantcast
Hot Vinegar Patina - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Hot Vinegar Patina

Looks great! How many cycles waa that? Hows the reactivity?
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

The gyuto got 3 baths and only 2 for the petty. I cut some tomatoes afterward and I got a bit of the usual smell but then it just disappeared and that was it.

Anyone tried this with a damascus knife, or have an idea what the effects would be on damascus? Just curious at the moment, but thinking of picking up a carbon damascus in the not too distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    I don't have any pics of the new nakiri yet, but here's my old gyuto that was done with the circuit board etchant

The etching solution creates much greater contrast between the metals, where the hot vinegar leaves a less obvious, more natural look that's closer to the contrast created by the polish that the shigs come with.
    Neither the hot vinegar nor the etching acid impart any color. The color down near the edge you see in the pics came from where the etched layer was thinned due to sharpening and thinning and a natural patina took root. The etched metal is still just slightly reactive and it will take on some colors over time, just much, much slower than un-etched.
    Like This? ^^^
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

I might have misread that post, but I thought it was done with etching solution rather than with vinegar.

Quote Originally Posted by r_icke View Post
    I might have misread that post, but I thought it was done with etching solution rather than with vinegar.
    Yes, the shig was done with the PCB etchant, but it also had a light patina that developed OVER the etch.

Hot vinegar yields lower contrast, but a more "natural" look. The process takes a bit longer and obviously is very dependant on the reactivity of the steel (dont think it would work on stainless or very well on semi stainless). I just thinned and then re-etched the kitaeji nakiri that had the vinegar patina on it with PCB etchant and forgot to take pics of the vinegar finish before. Once it gets some more wear and needs another refinishing, I'll try to remember to switch back to hot vinegar and photo-document this time.

Really though, finishes on steel are VERY difficult to capture accurately in a photo and the finish is going to be different depending on the steel in your particular knife and how many cycles you do and for how long, what your level of polish was pre-etch, etc...

The best way to know what your knife is going to look like is just to try it yourself. You're not going to damage your blade (unless you fall asleep).
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

I got my Hiromoto 240 gyuto today and went to thinning it right away. I didn't thin a lot but enough to make a difference. Then I etched it with hot vinegar. So this is my homage to Dave Martell. This knife will end up in his hands one day but for now this will do.

The blade does have a small over grind near the heel on the kanji side but once thinned properly it will disappear.

Nice work!
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

spiffy!

Cool! Turned out nice and dark.