Quantcast
Hot Vinegar Patina - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Hot Vinegar Patina

Thanks guys. I am really liking this knife so far. The AS takes a crazy edge!

What effect on re-activity will this have? I'm having some trouble with brunoise shallots getting dark after a few hours with my nogent..

did you wash the black stuff off and that's the end result? or did you leave that on to make it all badass looking like that?

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    did you wash the black stuff off and that's the end result? or did you leave that on to make it all badass looking like that?
    No that is what it looked like after I wiped it off and it was dried. I was surprised as well.

That's totally awesome. How many times did you do the vinegar bath?

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    That's totally awesome. How many times did you do the vinegar bath?
    I put it in twice for about 10 minutes at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    Yes, the shig was done with the PCB etchant, but it also had a light patina that developed OVER the etch.

Hot vinegar yields lower contrast, but a more "natural" look. The process takes a bit longer and obviously is very dependant on the reactivity of the steel (dont think it would work on stainless or very well on semi stainless). I just thinned and then re-etched the kitaeji nakiri that had the vinegar patina on it with PCB etchant and forgot to take pics of the vinegar finish before. Once it gets some more wear and needs another refinishing, I'll try to remember to switch back to hot vinegar and photo-document this time.

Really though, finishes on steel are VERY difficult to capture accurately in a photo and the finish is going to be different depending on the steel in your particular knife and how many cycles you do and for how long, what your level of polish was pre-etch, etc...

The best way to know what your knife is going to look like is just to try it yourself. You're not going to damage your blade (unless you fall asleep).
    Thanks for a detailed response! Will definitely try this sometime – just need a knife first that I can try it on

The kitaeji looks beautiful by the way.

Nice rdmalak!

BTW, all Hiros have that overgrind on the right side heel. Maybe it's from the kanji clean up? I don't know but it's always there and a pain to deal with.

just tried it on a damascus blue #2 petty via boiling vinegar bath x 2 @ 10mins ea, looks really ugly lol, i hope it works as a protective barrier! might try ferric chloride bath next time.

looks totally different in person (not attractive)

+ Reply to Thread