Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Minimum equipment for a functioning kitchen?

I'm afraid this doesn't really apply to you Stefan, but it's an interesting take on the question you pose:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/09/di...pagewanted=all

Thanks, I think I am beyond that stage, but not bad for someone who starts with nothing. My favorite quote: "People not only obsess about knives (and write entire articles about them), but you can easily spend over $100 on just one." hahahaha 'Easily $500' is more like it

Stefan

And a link to the video:

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2007/...kitchen&st=cse

This is really for people trying to outfit a kitchen for the first time for as little money as possible, but fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Thanks, I think I am beyond that stage, but not bad for someone who starts with nothing. My favorite quote: "People not only obsess about knives (and write entire articles about them), but you can easily spend over $100 on just one." hahahaha 'Easily $500' is more like it

Stefan
    I laughed at the knife talk too.

And I know you are way beyond this in terms of what you have and what you need, just found his list interesting.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Ya those knives for a beginning cook until it gets dull after 10 min. then they are back to were they started.
    Chewie's the man.

I have been packing up stuff for the move over the past week - little longer, actually. Maybe I could have been faster and more concentrated, but I also remember that when I moved out here I had 7 professionals packing the boxes that I have been packing pretty much alone. I threw away about a container full of stuff, including wonderful things like a chocolate temperer (doesn't everybody need one of those for making truffles?) about 1,700 or so storage containers without lids and lids without containers, and a plate warmer - plates are warm enough in Hawaii... I think I missed a chance to just fill another container full of stuff and throw them away, but I haven't yet given up on moving into civilized environment again at some point. But I did realized that 80% of all my boxes are either kitchen stuff or cook books.

I was - very reluctantly - trying to sell some of my furniture, but looks like there are no takers. People are so mobile in Hawaii that there are tons of moving sales, and if you don't give everything away for free, nobody bites. What I see happening is that I give it all away, then one of my job application comes through, I move into a larger place again, and have to buy it all new. I really hate moving.

Stefan

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    I have been packing up stuff for the move over the past week - little longer, actually. Maybe I could have been faster and more concentrated, but I also remember that when I moved out here I had 7 professionals packing the boxes that I have been packing pretty much alone. I threw away about a container full of stuff, including wonderful things like a chocolate temperer (doesn't everybody need one of those for making truffles?) about 1,700 or so storage containers without lids and lids without containers, and a plate warmer - plates are warm enough in Hawaii... I think I missed a chance to just fill another container full of stuff and throw them away, but I haven't yet given up on moving into civilized environment again at some point. But I did realized that 80% of all my boxes are either kitchen stuff or cook books.

I was - very reluctantly - trying to sell some of my furniture, but looks like there are no takers. People are so mobile in Hawaii that there are tons of moving sales, and if you don't give everything away for free, nobody bites. What I see happening is that I give it all away, then one of my job application comes through, I move into a larger place again, and have to buy it all new. I really hate moving.

Stefan
    Stefan, I hope it works out for you. I am four years from retirement and am thinking of moving the Hawai'i. My GF is garaunteed a job there no matter what, maybe we will grab another beer some day.
    Jason

Induction Portable burner. I've been playing around with this Duxtop 1800 burner lately and have found it very useful, more so in a small kitchen too. Give off little heat in the space even when using it for frying. Works awesome with my debuyer pans too

Stefan, you should sell your crazy kitchen stuff here on KKF! I mean, I know shipping is a bear, but you'd make a little cash and it wouldn't go to the landfill.

I'm sure someone wants a chocolate temperer, and anything you had that you vouch for would save someone shopping time.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    lol and a great reason to go pick up some kitchen stuff from our 50th state.
    Chewie's the man.