Minimum equipment for a functioning kitchen?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apicius9

Das HandleMeister
Founding Member
Reaction score
So, I still have not found a job for August, and I need to move out of my apartment. I decided to temporary share an apartment and rented a room (for $875/month %$#@#$#) where I will move later in July - hopefully not forever, I am planning until the end of the year for now. Frustrating in a way, but also an opportunity to declutter my stuff. Now, the kitchen in the place is rather basic whereas mine right now has too much stuff, most of which will probably go into boxes until I have a better idea about the long term perspectives.

That brings up the question: Assuming there is nothing in the kitchen except appliances and you wanted to stay at a place for 6 months (and cook there, of course), what would you take as a minimum (thinking about pots, pans, tools, small appliances here). Trying to get some ideas and a list from this thread before I start packing up things next weekend...

Stefan

Large fry pan,saucepan, spatula, tongs, microplane,a couple wood spoons, toaster oven,blender, microwave,cookie sheets and pans for oven. Maybe my rice cooker. And of course my knives and cutting board.

My last place had a closet sized kitchen. Stand at sink, turn around, now you are at the stove.

Check out the blog Apartment Therapy, lots of inspiration.

What you're getting ready to do is something my wife and I did when we moved to Washington DC for a temporary assignment. We took a knife block and knives, one of my larger dutch ovens, 12" non-stick skillet, a couple of sauce pans, a SS container that held wooden spoons, a pair of tongs and a couple of spatulas. I used those cheap, thin plastic cutting mats since I didn't have room for a wooden board.

I like Deckhand and 99's suggestions, except for maybe the non-stick part , if you have good stainless and the rice cooker. I'd also bring 10-ish qt stockpot, a ladle and some extra mixing bowls. Make sure you bring lids for your pots and pans, lol. I did once and it was a pain. I also put my spices in small bottles or ziplock bags, as opposed to some of the huge bulk containers I have at home.

Sounds like what I was thinking so far:

10qt pressure cooker (can also be used for stock, pasta etc.)
3qt saute pan
5qt cast iron dutch oven (I also use that for baking bread)
12" SS or cast iron frying pan
12" non-stick pan
casserole dish
colander, SS bowls
tongs, whisk, spoons, veg peeler etc.
Microplane (thanks, probably would have forgotten that)
lime/lemon squeezer
pyrex measuring jug, measuring cups
mixing bowls
storage containers
plates, cups, cutlery
wine glasses, all purpose glasses
some knives, sanituff board, a few stones
French press, coffee grinder
salad spinner
dish towels
pepper mills

Have to see again what there is in small appliances. Definitely will take the small rice cooker and toaster oven if there aren't any, don't use blender or microwave very much. Will pack the kitchen aid mixer and the large espresso machine up for storage, I think I can live without them for a few months. Anything important that I am forgetting?

Stefan

Well you have more than what I have. So your idea of minimum, and mine are very different. That is a good list there.

Sweet Jebus, Stefan! That's more **** than I have in my full sized kitchen! Lol. Tongs are secretly lemon/lime squeezers, coffee grinders work just fine as pepper mills, a good fork can zest just about anything, nothing you can do with a salad spinner you can't do by hand with a little patience... that's a pretty damn luxury list!

:laugh:

Edit -

Well you have more than what I have. So your idea of minimum, and mine are very different. That is a good list there.

Beat me to it!

Ya I was gonna just say that a rice cooker was over the top, too.

Hey, you know how it is - the pros have everything they need, the amateurs have everything.... :) That's only a small part of my kitchen stuff. But you are right about the lime squeezer and the salad spinner, they are luxury items. Need at least one pepper mill because I use a lot of white pepper and like my pepper fresehr than I find it in most places. And this is the coffee grinder for coffee - I also have two coffee grinders for spices :D I would have considered the rice cooker a luxury item also, but after 6 years in Hawaii you get used to eating rice.

Stefan

My wife has fallen in love with the idea of an Airstream trailer so this is a good base for stocking the kitchen in that. The amount of stuff is more limited, so I need to do some strategizing.

Yeah, for me, it was all about getting decent hand tools. Since I am not feeding an army anyways, it was often not just space saving, but more efficient. Good knives helped, of course.

-good cast iron skillet
-ss skillet
-versatile saucepan(mine has a thick copper plated bottom)
-one large stockpot
-with box grater(microplane one is good, but I had the cheapo--not great, but worked and took little space)
-large(4 oz) and small(3/4 oz) disher(super versatile--ice cream, butter, mashed potatoes, etc etc)
-a Gray Kunz Spoon
-one flat bottomed wooden spatula(mine was bamboo with a burned handle)
-a stick blender(didn't have one, but wanted one ALL THE TIME)
-2 cup measuring cup(the rest are just accessories, let's be honest)
-Bowl scraper(replaces most spatulae...and it's $0.49)
-Sturdy Whisk
-peeler
-colander
-ss bowls with snap on lids--doubles as storage containers
-can opener
-metal fish spat and/or heat resistant pancake turner, depending on what kind of stuff you do more.
-1/2 sheet pan(in a pinch can be used as a steam-lid for ss saute pan
-2" Quarter hotel pan, 4" Half hotel pan
-soup ladle

I'd say you can skip the citrus press, multiple measuring containers(it's not really the storage, it's the clutter they accumulate when dirty--the 4cp, 2cp 1cp thing gets old in the dish pit), mixing bowls(use the SS ones), multiple big spoons(just get a soup ladle, and gray kunz), and salad spinner(do you really eat that much salad greens??).

OH, also add some kind of system for storing spices. Either one of those rotating racks, cans on the cabinet doors ala Alton Brown, or just a basket system or wall rack. I also didn't mention the pepper mill, but to me, a pepper mill, salt pig, and olive oil cruet are no brainers.

FWIW, zesting citrus with a fork and sharing my coffee grinder with pepper is crazy talk.

I can cook damn near anything with the stuff I listed, and have a good time doing it. It all fit in 2 cabinets, one drawer and a counter that's the size of my current cutting board.

Hey, you know how it is - the pros have everything they need, the amateurs have everything.... :) That's only a small part of my kitchen stuff. But you are right about the lime squeezer and the salad spinner, they are luxury items. Need at least one pepper mill because I use a lot of white pepper and like my pepper fresehr than I find it in most places. And this is the coffee grinder for coffee - I also have two coffee grinders for spices :D I would have considered the rice cooker a luxury item also, but after 6 years in Hawaii you get used to eating rice.

Stefan
I didn't say to stop eating rice. It cooks very east. Being a vegetarian (mostly) I eat rice 4-5x a week. Quick and easy.

Yeah, for me, it was all about getting decent hand tools. Since I am not feeding an army anyways, it was often not just space saving, but more efficient. Good knives helped, of course.

-good cast iron skillet
-ss skillet
-versatile saucepan(mine has a thick copper plated bottom)
-one large stockpot
-with box grater(microplane one is good, but I had the cheapo--not great, but worked and took little space)
-large(4 oz) and small(3/4 oz) disher(super versatile--ice cream, butter, mashed potatoes, etc etc)
-a Gray Kunz Spoon
-one flat bottomed wooden spatula(mine was bamboo with a burned handle)
-a stick blender(didn't have one, but wanted one ALL THE TIME)
-2 cup measuring cup(the rest are just accessories, let's be honest)
-Bowl scraper(replaces most spatulae...and it's $0.49)
-Sturdy Whisk
-peeler
-colander
-ss bowls with snap on lids--doubles as storage containers
-can opener
-metal fish spat and/or heat resistant pancake turner, depending on what kind of stuff you do more.
-1/2 sheet pan(in a pinch can be used as a steam-lid for ss saute pan
-2" Quarter hotel pan, 4" Half hotel pan
-soup ladle

I'd say you can skip the citrus press, multiple measuring containers(it's not really the storage, it's the clutter they accumulate when dirty--the 4cp, 2cp 1cp thing gets old in the dish pit), mixing bowls(use the SS ones), multiple big spoons(just get a soup ladle, and gray kunz), and salad spinner(do you really eat that much salad greens??).

Great list. +100

Good points, Eamon. A few of my kitchen gadgets - like the Immersion blender - run on 220V and I have a transformer, but I don't want to shlepp that monster with me. But the bowl scraper I need anyway for baking, and a soup ladle and silicone spatula sound useful. Not sure what I would use the hotel pans for, I have a few but hardly ever use them now either. I would love a decent set of metal bowls with lids, but now is not the time to buy...

Stefan

I understand about the bowls--I got mine when I got married.

I use hotel pans for baking, roasting, I've even stored leftover pasta and sauce in it, and then just added stock the next day right in the pan and put it on a burner and had soup. You can just abuse them is all.

The only thing I might add to the list is a medium mesh strainer for the sauce maker in me.

OH yeah. Definitely. I even had a small hand one that I would just pour through carefully and shake bits into the trash bin as I went. I also use it to make coffee.

Yeah I would definately need my salad spinner. The mrs likes her lettuce leaves dry when dressed.
I have like 3 rice cookers, but I think I've used one once. People keep assuming I need one I think because they don't see me use one? It's just so much easier to me to grab a pot and a lid, and that stuff doesn't take up "extra" room. Same with toaster oven, I just never got used to using one, I have a broiler in my oven.

Cast Iron Pan
12" Deep Stainless Saute, sear and roast, or grain dishes/pastas
nonstick - eggs
5-8qt Dutch Oven or deep hotel pan, roasting pan for braises
10 qt stockpot
3 qt saucepot/saucier
forget the colander and double up your mesh strainer/chinois for straining pasta or your sauces, those things are huge
rubber spatula/scraper, wooden spoon, peltex spatula, gray kunz, palette knife
saltpig/pepper mill/oil cruet
knives/stones/2 boards
toaster/kettle/coffee grinder, maker/ mortar pestle (make room, don't use your coffee grinder, oh wait you have two, nevermind)
measuring spoons/cups/pyrex cup
flour/sugar/spices bin
Bowls/Inserts

I think that's pretty good, then find out where to put two immersion circulators and you are good to go. Good luck Stefan, your minimalist kitchen sounds like mine, not very minimal.

Medium strainer is a good idea, I do use that often. Definitely don't need a microwave, I still don't know what they are good for when you don't have kids or nuke your sponges... I was thinking about the salad spinner not because I eat a lot of salad but because I SHOULD eat more salad :) There seems to be a lot of agreement about most other things. I still need to get larger tight-closing bins for flour, that was on my list anyway after the I recently saw the oats moving in their bag. It's also a good opportunity to throw out all my spices; should have dated them, but most likely most of them are way past their prime except the pepper. And if I can squeeze it in, I will try reseasoning my old Griswold pan.

Stefan

P.s., Well, it's still minimal for me - after all, I am not taking the kitchen aid mixer, the stovetop smoker, the hangiri or half a dozen serving plates...

Get a job as a line cook and you'll hardly ever even have to cook at home.

...I would have considered the rice cooker a luxury item also, but after 6 years in Hawaii you get used to eating rice...
Before there were rice-cookers, there were pots. Call me a caveman but I still do rice in a typical pot. My rice cooker got thrown out years ago. It's big, redundant and non-stackable, lol. Don't get me wrong. They are nice to have but if I had to throw out one of my small kitchen appliances for space savings (read: knife block), it was an easy choice.

Before there were rice-cookers, there were pots. Call me a caveman but I still do rice in a typical pot. My rice cooker got thrown out years ago. It's big, redundant and non-stackable, lol. Don't get me wrong. They are nice to have but if I had to throw out one of my small kitchen appliances for space savings (read: knife block), it was an easy choice.

The reason I have yet to get the Zojirushi, the pot does rice and anything else I want it to.

The reason I have yet to get the Zojirushi, the pot does rice and anything else I want it to.
We had rice-cookers before our daughter was born - but she still uses 'the pot' to make rice with the crusty bottom layer of rice and makes musubi with texture, as my mom did for her. :thumbsup:

We eat rice several times a week and have never seen the need for a rice cooker. We mostly eat Jasmine rice and this is how I cook it, 1c rice to 1 1/2c liquid plus 1Tbs butter, bring liquid to boil, add rice, put on lid and reduce temp to simmer for 10 min. Turn off burner and wait 10 to 15 more minutes. Comes out perfect every time.

Yeah, but you can't program a pot to have the rice ready when you get home.

Stefan, what kind of immersion blender do you have that runs on 220 volt? That's one appliance I couldnt live without.

I also would consider some of those collapsable silicone gadgets.

I agree with Deckhand, you should give priority to those equipments which you require on daily basis.

Latest posts

Back