Quantcast
Minimum equipment for a functioning kitchen?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Minimum equipment for a functioning kitchen?

Minimum equipment for a functioning kitchen?

So, I still have not found a job for August, and I need to move out of my apartment. I decided to temporary share an apartment and rented a room (for $875/month %$#@#$#) where I will move later in July - hopefully not forever, I am planning until the end of the year for now. Frustrating in a way, but also an opportunity to declutter my stuff. Now, the kitchen in the place is rather basic whereas mine right now has too much stuff, most of which will probably go into boxes until I have a better idea about the long term perspectives.

That brings up the question: Assuming there is nothing in the kitchen except appliances and you wanted to stay at a place for 6 months (and cook there, of course), what would you take as a minimum (thinking about pots, pans, tools, small appliances here). Trying to get some ideas and a list from this thread before I start packing up things next weekend...

Stefan

Large fry pan,saucepan, spatula, tongs, microplane,a couple wood spoons, toaster oven,blender, microwave,cookie sheets and pans for oven. Maybe my rice cooker. And of course my knives and cutting board.

My last place had a closet sized kitchen. Stand at sink, turn around, now you are at the stove.

Check out the blog Apartment Therapy, lots of inspiration.

What you're getting ready to do is something my wife and I did when we moved to Washington DC for a temporary assignment. We took a knife block and knives, one of my larger dutch ovens, 12" non-stick skillet, a couple of sauce pans, a SS container that held wooden spoons, a pair of tongs and a couple of spatulas. I used those cheap, thin plastic cutting mats since I didn't have room for a wooden board.

I like Deckhand and 99's suggestions, except for maybe the non-stick part , if you have good stainless and the rice cooker. I'd also bring 10-ish qt stockpot, a ladle and some extra mixing bowls. Make sure you bring lids for your pots and pans, lol. I did once and it was a pain. I also put my spices in small bottles or ziplock bags, as opposed to some of the huge bulk containers I have at home.

Sounds like what I was thinking so far:

10qt pressure cooker (can also be used for stock, pasta etc.)
    3qt saute pan
    5qt cast iron dutch oven (I also use that for baking bread)
    12" SS or cast iron frying pan
    12" non-stick pan
    casserole dish
    colander, SS bowls
    tongs, whisk, spoons, veg peeler etc.
    Microplane (thanks, probably would have forgotten that)
    lime/lemon squeezer
    pyrex measuring jug, measuring cups
    mixing bowls
    storage containers
    plates, cups, cutlery
    wine glasses, all purpose glasses
    some knives, sanituff board, a few stones
    French press, coffee grinder
    salad spinner
    dish towels
    pepper mills

Have to see again what there is in small appliances. Definitely will take the small rice cooker and toaster oven if there aren't any, don't use blender or microwave very much. Will pack the kitchen aid mixer and the large espresso machine up for storage, I think I can live without them for a few months. Anything important that I am forgetting?

Stefan

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Well you have more than what I have. So your idea of minimum, and mine are very different. That is a good list there.
    Chewie's the man.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Sweet Jebus, Stefan! That's more **** than I have in my full sized kitchen! Lol. Tongs are secretly lemon/lime squeezers, coffee grinders work just fine as pepper mills, a good fork can zest just about anything, nothing you can do with a salad spinner you can't do by hand with a little patience... that's a pretty damn luxury list!

Edit -

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    Well you have more than what I have. So your idea of minimum, and mine are very different. That is a good list there.
    Beat me to it!

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Ya I was gonna just say that a rice cooker was over the top, too.
    Chewie's the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    Ya I was gonna just say that a rice cooker was over the top, too.
    Depends on your eating habits. Hawaii is very Asian influenced.