Quantcast
Minimum equipment for a functioning kitchen? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Minimum equipment for a functioning kitchen?

Yeah I would definately need my salad spinner. The mrs likes her lettuce leaves dry when dressed.
    I have like 3 rice cookers, but I think I've used one once. People keep assuming I need one I think because they don't see me use one? It's just so much easier to me to grab a pot and a lid, and that stuff doesn't take up "extra" room. Same with toaster oven, I just never got used to using one, I have a broiler in my oven.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Cast Iron Pan
    12" Deep Stainless Saute, sear and roast, or grain dishes/pastas
    nonstick - eggs
    5-8qt Dutch Oven or deep hotel pan, roasting pan for braises
    10 qt stockpot
    3 qt saucepot/saucier
    forget the colander and double up your mesh strainer/chinois for straining pasta or your sauces, those things are huge
    rubber spatula/scraper, wooden spoon, peltex spatula, gray kunz, palette knife
    saltpig/pepper mill/oil cruet
    knives/stones/2 boards
    toaster/kettle/coffee grinder, maker/ mortar pestle (make room, don't use your coffee grinder, oh wait you have two, nevermind)
    measuring spoons/cups/pyrex cup
    flour/sugar/spices bin
    Bowls/Inserts

I think that's pretty good, then find out where to put two immersion circulators and you are good to go. Good luck Stefan, your minimalist kitchen sounds like mine, not very minimal.

Medium strainer is a good idea, I do use that often. Definitely don't need a microwave, I still don't know what they are good for when you don't have kids or nuke your sponges... I was thinking about the salad spinner not because I eat a lot of salad but because I SHOULD eat more salad There seems to be a lot of agreement about most other things. I still need to get larger tight-closing bins for flour, that was on my list anyway after the I recently saw the oats moving in their bag. It's also a good opportunity to throw out all my spices; should have dated them, but most likely most of them are way past their prime except the pepper. And if I can squeeze it in, I will try reseasoning my old Griswold pan.

Stefan

P.s., Well, it's still minimal for me - after all, I am not taking the kitchen aid mixer, the stovetop smoker, the hangiri or half a dozen serving plates...

Get a job as a line cook and you'll hardly ever even have to cook at home.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    ...I would have considered the rice cooker a luxury item also, but after 6 years in Hawaii you get used to eating rice...
    Before there were rice-cookers, there were pots. Call me a caveman but I still do rice in a typical pot. My rice cooker got thrown out years ago. It's big, redundant and non-stackable, lol. Don't get me wrong. They are nice to have but if I had to throw out one of my small kitchen appliances for space savings (read: knife block), it was an easy choice.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Before there were rice-cookers, there were pots. Call me a caveman but I still do rice in a typical pot. My rice cooker got thrown out years ago. It's big, redundant and non-stackable, lol. Don't get me wrong. They are nice to have but if I had to throw out one of my small kitchen appliances for space savings (read: knife block), it was an easy choice.
    The reason I have yet to get the Zojirushi, the pot does rice and anything else I want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassEye View Post
    The reason I have yet to get the Zojirushi, the pot does rice and anything else I want it to.
    We had rice-cookers before our daughter was born - but she still uses 'the pot' to make rice with the crusty bottom layer of rice and makes musubi with texture, as my mom did for her.

We eat rice several times a week and have never seen the need for a rice cooker. We mostly eat Jasmine rice and this is how I cook it, 1c rice to 1 1/2c liquid plus 1Tbs butter, bring liquid to boil, add rice, put on lid and reduce temp to simmer for 10 min. Turn off burner and wait 10 to 15 more minutes. Comes out perfect every time.

Yeah, but you can't program a pot to have the rice ready when you get home.

Stefan, what kind of immersion blender do you have that runs on 220 volt? That's one appliance I couldnt live without.

I also would consider some of those collapsable silicone gadgets.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I agree with Deckhand, you should give priority to those equipments which you require on daily basis.