Quantcast
Messing with sour dough - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Messing with sour dough

I fed the sponge a couple of hours ago and it doubled, so it looks like it's on track!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    You know what Bourdain said about those that made bread? "they are nuts. We cooks are all nuts but the bakers are a different kind of nuts. I mean they call up on their days off and say stuff about how it will die."

That is from memory so please don't quote me. Good luck with your venture Spike. You all are going down the really nutty venture into the food world.
    Anthony Bourdain's baker: "Feed the *****!!!"

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Why I couldn't remember that but the rest I have no idea.
    Chewie's the man.

Quote Originally Posted by cnochef View Post
    "Feed the *****!!!"
    (One of) The best lines in the book!
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

One of my favorite Pizzas of all time came from a place called Shakeys Pizza. Any of y'all from Cali or the west remember this stuff.

What made this pizza so great was that it had a beer flavor to it. I first thought that it might be brewers yeast instead of live active but that didn't do it. So I tried beer instead of water, still not. Then I had some Amish bread that had that special beer something taste.....could it be a sourdough from brewers yeast? I do have a couple world class micro-brews near me where I can get some brewers yeasts....could it possibly be the answer???

Also, I did read the info on the sourgough site but none of them said anything about beer flavor or brewers yeast....not that I could find.

PLEASE HELP!!!!! This would MAKE my pizza life!!!!!

THANK YOU,
    PZ

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Wow haven't thought about Shakeys in years. Loved the food there, but I was only 8 ish. No help on the beer flavor. Could be the type of flour they used too.
    Chewie's the man.

The best tip I can give is to feed it consistently every day or a long time. You have to play with the level of hydration and temp to get the miring right. Once right the spong should 2x its I've consistently at 70-75*F if it's sluggish you need mor flour if it's to acidic it's to cold if it has pore levan properties it's to warm

By the way if you want some starters I have some very cool, very old ones.

I am now feeding twice a day with 120 grams of local whole wheat flour and 120 g. of water, and it doubles in volume after feeding. I am in day 9 from smashing the grapes and it smells just like sour dough!
    Thanks for the offer, chef, if and when this starter fades I will take you up on it!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig