My magnetic knife bar...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a.lber.to

Reaction score
Following a recent acquisition, a knife-maker asked for a picture of my magnetic knife bar, so here it is...

(Click on the image to enlarge it)

From left to right:
... Echizen-Japan 1310 - 240 Gyuto
... Echizen-Japan 1310 - 240 Sujihiki
... Echizen-Japan 1310 - 210 Guyto
... Echizen-Japan 1310 - 180 Santoku
... Echizen-Japan 1310 - 165 Nakiri
... Echizen-Japan 1310 - 210 Bread
... Echizen-Japan 1310 - 150 Petty
... Echizen-Japan 1310 - 105 Paring
... Ichiro Hattori KD - 270 Gyuto
... Ichiro Hattori KD - 210 Gyuto
... Ichiro Hattori KD - 180 Santoku
... Ichiro Hattori KD - 150 Utility
... Ichiro Hattori KD - 135 Petty
... Takeda AS - 110 Mioroshi-Bocho
... Vinh Lê Cao - 180 Sujihiki
... Kai Shun Steel - 150 Utility
... Vinh Lê Cao - Butter knife
... Bob Kramer by Zwilling - 5" Utility
... Bob Kramer by Zwilling - 10" Chef
... Hiro Itou - 105 Paring
... Hiro Itou - 150 Petty
... Hiro Itou - 230 Gyuto
... Isshi Machida - 160 Santoku
... Kane Soh blue steel - 230 Yanagi

Missing for obvious reasons:
... Kyocera HIP ceramic - 210 Yanagi (mirror-polished special edition)
... Kyocera Kyotop HIP ceramic - 155 Gyuto
... Kyocera Kyotop HIP ceramic - 140 Santoku
... Kyocera Kyotop HIP ceramic - 130 Sujihiki
... Kyocera Kyotop HIP ceramic - 110 Utility
... Kyocera Kyotop HIP ceramic - 75 Paring

Currently in the mail:
... Hattori FH -70 Parer

Got me on that one!!! Once a collector, always a collector... :biggrin:

Quite an impressive expense. I have never seen so many nice sets together.

What maker?

A french guy of Vietnamese origins called Vinh Lê Cao - I just bought one of his knives. He spent time in Vietnam doing an apprenticeship with a traditional Vietnamese village forger, and has started making his own knives in that style now that he is back in rural France. He is just getting started, but I like the very rustic Takeda-ish look of some of his knives, and ended up getting the top knife in this picture:

DSC_0691+%5B1024x768%5D.jpg

I have been jokingly calling it my "TSB carbon steel" knife, with TSB standing for Truck Suspension Blade!!! ;) He has a post on his blog showing more pictures of the knife and some steps of the fabrication process...

Very cool. There was a guy at the ABS Expo this year that was making knives roughly similar to that style. Purely coincidental, other than the fact that they trade in the same craft.
DSC_1358.JPG

Didn't remember his name though.

I haven't had to sharpen them yet, but I love them so far! :)

A french guy of Vietnamese origins called Vinh Lê Cao - I just bought one of his knives. He spent time in Vietnam doing an apprenticeship with a traditional Vietnamese village forger, and has started making his own knives in that style now that he is back in rural France. He is just getting started, but I like the very rustic Takeda-ish look of some of his knives, and ended up getting the top knife in this picture:

DSC_0691+%5B1024x768%5D.jpg

I have been jokingly calling it my "TSB carbon steel" knife, with TSB standing for Truck Suspension Blade!!! ;) He has a post on his blog showing more pictures of the knife and some steps of the fabrication process...

Those are very nice. Gotta support the locals.

Those are very nice. Gotta support the locals.

Eeww, does that mean I have to buy Ken Onion knives? ;)

Very impressive collection and nicedisplay here!

Stefan

Three of them, yes - and they got really scratched up in the process, as I feared (when I picked them up I wanted to stab the guy with them - how can a professional do such a sloppy job!!!). So I am working up the courage to refinish them when I next need to sharpen them. I plan to re-polish the blades, re-etch them, and then resharpen them. But I am not quite there yet in terms of guts...

Three of them, yes - and they got really scratched up in the process, as I feared (when I picked them up I wanted to stab the guy with them - how can a professional do such a sloppy job!!!). So I am working up the courage to refinish them when I next need to sharpen them. I plan to re-polish the blades, re-etch them, and then resharpen them. But I am not quite there yet in terms of guts...

That's a shame, but I'm sure a professional (like Maxim for example) can reverse the damage if you are too worried to attempt it yourself.

Beautiful knives.

Wow like his work there. Ty for sharing a new maker (for me). Sad to hear about the crappy sharpening job. I also agree with you.:bat:

:bigeek: ooo....m.....g.....!!!!!

Cool rack mate. I need to get some magnetic racks too!!

Very nice collection, but the only problem I see is all that space in between the knives ;) They are like empty lots that call for something to be built upon. You could easily squeeze some more in.

k.

That Kramer looks huge compared to everything else ;)
Nice collection

Very nice collection, but the only problem I see is all that space in between the knives ;) They are like empty lots that call for something to be built upon. You could easily squeeze some more in.

k.

Well, I have: two more Itou paring knives with ironwood and mosaic pin handles that match the others (70mm curved and 60mm straight). I have also been on the list for two Raders for some time now, so I hope that my turn will come up soon! :)

Wow. This quickly made the list of one of my favorite knives.
The stained wooden handles give it a really nice touch.

wow now thats a lot of cowry X!

beautiful sets of knives.

i have yet to hold and test a KD!

Latest posts

Back