What is it ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeley

GoogleFu San
Founding Member
Reaction score
IT'S time for what is it .
historical items ,vintage items what is it please feel free to add your own item.
and please keep it too kitchen/ knife stuff .

1st
8zDe.png
[/IMG]

2nd
0hEuB.jpg
[/IMG]

Cake knife, Weights for traveling merchents.

Not sure about the cake knife.

Bottom looks like maybe salt cellars or spice/pepper jars?

-AJ

Glasseye has the 2nd one with spicebox spices were rare and costly back then this one is from the 1700's if you go to a indian market sometimes you can find one
i saw one at World Market a retail store .

sMeQx.jpg
[/IMG]

Yeah, #3 definitely looks like something for skimming the top layer off a big pot or vat of liquid... like how you use a ladle to get the solids off of the top of a sauce or the extra fat from a soup.

How bout a hint for #1? Is that bulbous tip used as grip for you 2nd hand or to prevent the knife from poking a hole in something delicate?

No on both

#1 is for a special dish.

#1 cheese knife
#2 spice containers
#3 flour scoop

:scratchhead:#2 has been answered by Glasseye

no one has #1 and #3

#3 I would say would be for removing ash, carbon form bottom of ovens.

#1 for cutting shepherds pie, or some what like it? Haggis maybe?

Here's my guess.

#3. Some kind of dry goods scoop. Rolled edge not good for scraping, but practical for use in scooping things from burlap or cotton sacks. No drain holes, so I'm eliminating any cheesemaking application.

#1. Everyone knows that you use a Claymore for cutting the Haggis! :knight::D Seriously, it appears too blunt to be an actual cutting instrument. Some kind of scraping operation, like for raclette, but the handle offset would make it unwieldly.

Bootscraper for the butcher shop? :sofa:

#4. Oyster opener?

I am thinking haggis just because the old way was in a pie like shape. Hense the reason for the offset handle.

As I was reading your post I was thinking for cutting tofu too.

#3 I would say would be for removing ash, carbon form bottom of ovens.

#1 for cutting shepherds pie, or some what like it? Haggis maybe?

for #3 your way off thinking is in the wrong direction think upright.

for #1 YOU ARE ALMOST THERE

#4 oyster knife

This is a fun game, but it's driving me nuts.
#1 has to be for cutting something while it's still in a container. His clue: "it's for a special dish" was both referring to the food that it's cutting and the dish that the food is in. It would have to be something soft that could be easily push-cut and that is too delicate to take out of the dish to cut it. Tofu was a great guess, but the knife looks European / western in style. Sooo... that makes me think maybe dairy of some sort? Butter? Cheese?

#3 Has to be for liquid... But what kind of liquid? It looks like is supposed to be pressed straight down (handle up) into a barrel or big container. The liquid would flow over the front edge / open side. Then you tip it up to carry without spilling. This design would make getting liquid out of the bottom of the container much easier than with a scoop shaped more like a traditional cup / cylinder. But what liquid???

#1 is for steering a bull

#2 is a portable urinal

#1 is for steering a bull

#2 is a portable urinal

No but you win with that steering the bull guess.

since some are are very close to #1 IT IS a Bubble and Squeak knife/scraper.
ZsxAl.jpg
[/IMG]

it has different names all around the world but mostly fried left overs with potato's and cabbage .
1870 recipe
fEWmL.jpg
[/IMG]

and some more knives .
cjmz1.jpg
[/IMG]

OK for #3 a hint .
lqnjk.jpg
[/IMG]

ECCHEF has it .
for the catching the entrails from hanging stock . that is from the Chicago over a 100 years ago.

good job everyone
now let me see what else i have and again feel free to jump in even if it is a bull steering device .

Ok we will call these

# 4 what is it and for what ?
gnvG.jpg
[/IMG]

Burr from worlds largest vintage burr grinder?
-or-
Failed devil's food cake?

it is special made , but close spike.

Latest posts

Back