Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will this make me poor again?

Will this make me poor again?

Hi all - Thought I should say hello

Some years back I was forced not to 'waste' a few hundred on some damascus gyuto I was dreaming of, and instead had to settle for an Italian Sanelli and later Globals. Then recently started to work up an interest in knives when prepping for a visit to Japan. Have since been back once, last week. (I wonder why?...) But relatively easy for me, as I work in Seoul and know the place after living in Tokyo 1997-9.

In a few short months I've bought 4 knives, 5 stones, various paraphernalia, and am in the market for a real gyuto. Collection rapidly expanding, but might be hell-to-pay when the missus returns from visiting her folks back home.... Marrying an accountant: probably a double-edged, multiple-bevelled cutting instrument of some kind.

Anyway, I'm not a pro. Have worked in a few kitchens but now just cooking at home. Have picked up some great info here, though at first it was was a bit like, 'Huh, what are they talking about....?' Now recovering from the learning curve.

Thanks,
    Kev

Welcome Kev!

Got any pics to share of what you have now?

Let your wife use the Sanelli once. She will see the light.

Welcome to the forums.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Welcome Kev.

Eamon put together a nice glossary of terms and abbreviations commonly used here, which may help with that learning curve: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...Knife-Glossary

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Let your wife use the Sanelli once. She will see the light.
    Hehe, that's right! But actually the old Sanelli is a 270 and far too big for her. She got the bug a bit in Tokyo, though, and 1 of the 4 I said I'd bought was a petty for her. More her size, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    Welcome Kev! Got any pics to share of what you have now?
    Good idea, thanks. Knife pics are hard to resist. But please wait until she returns from her trip with our camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    Welcome Kev. Eamon put together a nice glossary of terms and abbreviations commonly used here, which may help with that learning curve: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...Knife-Glossary
    Hey, good idea. Thanks. Too many acronyms around sometimes! I also like to know the Japanese names and that was very useful when there. And fun too.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Welcome to the forum.

Welcome. And to answer your first question YYYEEESSS!!!!!

PZ

much more awesomer
    Hi, Kev!

I'm trying to get to Seoul for a couple of day in two weeks, likely staying near COEX in Gangnam. Any pointers?
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Quote Originally Posted by Pabloz View Post
    Welcome. And to answer your first question YYYEEESSS!!!!!PZ
    Thanks ... but not sure what my first question was ... Do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    Hi, Kev! I'm trying to get to Seoul for a couple of day in two weeks, likely staying near COEX in Gangnam. Any pointers?
    Maybe, but know sure what you're into. If you have any questions please try msg-ing me.