Will this make me poor again?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cutty Sharp

Banned
Reaction score
Hi all - Thought I should say hello

Some years back I was forced not to 'waste' a few hundred on some damascus gyuto I was dreaming of, and instead had to settle for an Italian Sanelli and later Globals. Then recently started to work up an interest in knives when prepping for a visit to Japan. Have since been back once, last week. (I wonder why?...) But relatively easy for me, as I work in Seoul and know the place after living in Tokyo 1997-9.

In a few short months I've bought 4 knives, 5 stones, various paraphernalia, and am in the market for a real gyuto. Collection rapidly expanding, but might be hell-to-pay when the missus returns from visiting her folks back home.... Marrying an accountant: probably a double-edged, multiple-bevelled cutting instrument of some kind.

Anyway, I'm not a pro. Have worked in a few kitchens but now just cooking at home. Have picked up some great info here, though at first it was was a bit like, 'Huh, what are they talking about....?' Now recovering from the learning curve.

Thanks,
Kev :knife:

Let your wife use the Sanelli once. She will see the light.

Hehe, that's right! But actually the old Sanelli is a 270 and far too big for her. She got the bug a bit in Tokyo, though, and 1 of the 4 I said I'd bought was a petty for her. More her size, I guess.

Welcome Kev! Got any pics to share of what you have now?

Good idea, thanks. Knife pics are hard to resist. But please wait until she returns from her trip with our camera.

Welcome. And to answer your first question YYYEEESSS!!!!!

PZ

Hi, Kev!

I'm trying to get to Seoul for a couple of day in two weeks, likely staying near COEX in Gangnam. Any pointers?

Welcome. And to answer your first question YYYEEESSS!!!!!PZ

Thanks ... but not sure what my first question was ... Do you know?

Hi, Kev! I'm trying to get to Seoul for a couple of day in two weeks, likely staying near COEX in Gangnam. Any pointers?

Maybe, but know sure what you're into. If you have any questions please try msg-ing me.

Welcome Kev, I saw a very wise quote here once that says: "I've found it much easier to ask my wife's forgiveness than permission"
I mean, I'm convinced my wife is going to be pissed at me for something I did or did not do-for the rest of my life. Life is way too short to not have good knives. Enjoy being broke and sleeping on the couch.

Welcome to the Knut House! And remember, it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

Welcome to the Knut House! And remember, it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission.
Welcome Kev, I saw a very wise quote here once that says: "I've found it much easier to ask my wife's forgiveness than permission"
I mean, I'm convinced my wife is going to be pissed at me for something I did or did not do-for the rest of my life. Life is way too short to not have good knives. Enjoy being broke and sleeping on the couch.

Hilarious!!

Precisely my strategy. She's away and has issued solemn warnings, not to buy 'more stones' or 'a knife' or 'anything expensive'. Yeah right.

Hmm... These knife forums can be helpful in more ways than one! Flipside of investing hundreds/thousands on knives, et al: dealing with the rest of the world that thinks you're bonkers. Wives especially problematic.

I repeat themselves, it would seem!

I've read enough here to know that I need to make every effort to "finish" my collection while still single. ;)

You better get on the phone to a good florist if you're going to defy that wife of yours Kev!

Welcome Kev!! Not married, but I always push the investment angle with my family. Letting them know that, not only will they not lose their value like other knives, but if you get the right one, it can actually go up in price. Helps when you prepare a nice 3 or 4 course meal. Keeps them from saying anything while they're stuffing food in their mouths.

I always push the investment angle with my family. Letting them know that, not only will they not lose their value like other knives, but if you get the right one, it can actually go up in price.

Great thinking, and you can use this logic, not just on others, but also on yourself if you ever feel guilty about buying.

However, trying to chose knives whose value might increase will now only add to the complexities of deciding what to purchase. Thanks man.... :scratchhead:

Incidentally, what would be an example of a knife whose value might increase after purchase? Maybe one by a renown individual maker who's getting on a bit - before their retirement?

I'm not sure if signed Kejiro Doi blades are (or will be) going up in value that much, but I still want one.

Back