Quantcast
Honesuki
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honesuki

Honesuki

Who uses 'em in a commercial kitchen? What do you think of the shape? Do you use them for all proteins or just poultry? Pros and cons, i.e. are they good for working around joints but **** for taken silverside off whole sirloins?

I'm keen to try one out but just concerned about whether I'll take to it or not. I started with a Sab 5" boning knife, "upgraded" to a hankotsu, but the style just never really worked for me. I don't mind it, but I just don't feel it's as nimble as my sab. hard to explain, but the hankotsu just doesn't feel like an extension of my hand like the sab does; maybe it's just the blocky handle.

The direction of our restaurant is changing and while we'll still be flying the flag for fish, we'll be getting in a lot more meat; rib-eyes, whole suckling pigs, the odd rabbit perhaps. The plan is to do a lot of butchery in house.

Preference would be for a western handle and I don't care if it's stainless or carbon.

I'd be keen to hear what brands people are using too. I've been eyeing off the the green handled nenox at Korin (purely aesthetic and I've always wanted to try a nenox) but I think I would have a hard time forking out $600+ for VG1 (?), even if it was HT'd by Jesus and ground by Buddha. The Hattori FH is also in consideration. I really enjoyed using the two FH knives I previously has, kinda regret selling them

Cheers in advance,
    Josh

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    If you want to try a honesuki, go tojiro DP. Very cheap and an unbelievably great knife. I've had mine for over 10 years, and yes it's VG-10. Probably the best VG-10 knife out there.
    I bought mine at an asian market because I thought it looked cool. I had no idea what it was for until a japanese friend of mine clued me in. It is excellent for cleaning silverskin and fat off of all types of proteins. There is a bit of a learning curve when switching from a french-style boner. You may still find yourself reaching for old frenchie when frenching lamb racks, etc.
    The tojiro has great edge retention and the western handle you are looking for. Search it on whatshisfaces, I mean **** site and read the tons of glowing reviews, you won't be sorry.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

I use a Moritaka 150mm blue #2 at work.
    Great for poultry.racks o lamb and boning out legs o lamb. Not so great for silver skin removal(too thick behind the edge),I use my Kasumi semi flexi boner for finesse jobs.
    It's a wa handle so it won't fit your criteria,but it's a great little knife...

Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    Search it on whatshisfaces, I mean **** site and read the tons of glowing reviews, you won't be sorry.
    I am sure it is a fine knife, but sure wouldn't trust the glowing reviews on what's his name's site...everything there gets equally bogus reviews
    one man gathers what another man spills...

i use the 150mm tojiro DP, its a great knife i use it on ducks, chickens, rack of lamb, i use it to remove silver skin on beef tenderloin, its also good for removing bloodline from fish.

Awesome knife shape. I wont ever do tenderloins without one ever again. Boning out poultry is a breeze too. Only thing I don't like it for is boning out strips, I like the heavier hankotsu for that.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

its good at boning and things but i just prefer a hefty 150 or 180 petty. it can do more. the honesuki is not versatile enough for me
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Snips View Post
    its good at boning and things but i just prefer a hefty 150 or 180 petty. it can do more. the honesuki is not versatile enough for me
    What can a petty do that a Honesuki cant do in your opinion? I own both an am just curious.

-Chuck

I like mine a lot, and it probably gets as much use as my gyuto at work. I use it for chicken, rabbit, anything with a bone really. I'm not liking it as much as a thinner knife for silver skin but that might just be because I suck right now. I also use it for squid. I think its 99/1 bevel helps me get closer to the bone on chicken breasts and things like that, but I could be wrong.

I got a really tough one for really cheap through Jon at JKI. I'd contact him if I were you.

I really like mine too. Great for boning, but I also like it as a general utility / petty. I find that the extreme shape works very well for shorter blades as it gives you plenty of clearance under the handle.
    If you don't like the "flying triangle of chicken death" blade shape though, JKI sells a Zakuri "boning knife" that's double bevel, very stout , and has a less extreme shape. Works about the same for boning (tip is not quite as maneuverable) , is a slightly better at slicing, is narrower and better if used "in the air" and reverse grip. But, it wedges more if used as a petty on hard stuff and has less handle clearance.