Quantcast
Honesuki - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Honesuki

Quote Originally Posted by chuck239 View Post
    What can a petty do that a Honesuki cant do in your opinion? I own both an am just curious.

-Chuck
    anything a gyuto can for the most part. i use a petty do do line stuff, cut herbs, veggies etc and i ONLY used my honesuki for boning chickens

the thinner profile and geometry of the petty works better for me for things like trimming meat
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"

I use the tojiro dp as well. I thrash it and it stands up to a fair bit of abuse I also don't curse too much if it gets a ding or two. That said, i tend to have an f.dick boner on hand for frenching.

Definitely the best thing that I've used on poultry, and rabbit and I find it great for larger cuts of beef as well. I pita microbevel on it, which helps the edge not just go straight through the silverskin while cleaning whole sirloins etc ...

If I was to buy one tomorrow I'd try and find something carbon hardened to about 58-59.

On a side note, it's my favourite small knife profile and if I'm ever in a position to have custom knives made, first up would be a western laser petty with a honesuki profile.

if i was buying a honesuki or hankotsu i would go tojiro dp. most honesukis and hankotsus seem overpriced to me considering what theyre used for. plus those tojiros are tough, not much flex i wouldnt be scared to use a tojiro for tough tasks. or maybe even the carbonext honesuki?

I use a Kikuichi in my work kit and a Tojiro at home. I find them to be very handy. I tend to use them mainly for poultry but they see additional use for other proteins, particularly if I'm deboning. They're tough and keep on coming back for more.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    if i was buying a honesuki or hankotsu i would go tojiro dp. most honesukis and hankotsus seem overpriced to me considering what theyre used for. plus those tojiros are tough, not much flex i wouldnt be scared to use a tojiro for tough tasks. or maybe even the carbonext honesuki?
    The Fujiwara and Jon's Ikkaku Honesuki are even cheaper than the DP. It'd be worth asking Jon what he thinks the differences are and why he carries what he carries.

Cheers for the feedback everyone. Sounding more and more tempting. Under the advice here, I reckon I will go cheap to start and look at the Tojiro or Fujiwara. Anyone have experience with Kanetsugu?

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers,
    Josh

I got one of these as one of my first Japanese knives and it's been great for me. Don't have much to compare it to, but I like it.

http://japan-blades.com/chef-knives/366.html

I have a Fujiwara stainless Honesuki and I absolutely love it. I purchased it early on in my sharpening career and I believe I have messed it up very slightly but I will fix it over time. She still cuts/breaks down primals like a boss though.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

have Spikec make you one of these. it's bad ass. I use it for breaking down birds, chopping herbs in a pinch and breaking down filets and strips. He can make it in single and double bevel and it is a joy to use.
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.