Quantcast
Honesuki - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Honesuki

Son, do you regularly use the right side of your laptop as a cutting board?

As far as customs go, Fowler made some nice ones a little while back. If you troll the other forum, you can probably find them posted. IIRC, the cost of them was about $325 for a 150mm and $350 for a 170mm. Also, Adam Marr did mine for under $300. Just offering up those as reasonably priced custom options.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Son, do you regularly use the right side of your laptop as a cutting board?

As far as customs go, Fowler made some nice ones a little while back. If you troll the other forum, you can probably find them posted. IIRC, the cost of them was about $325 for a 150mm and $350 for a 170mm. Also, Adam Marr did mine for under $300. Just offering up those as reasonably priced custom options.

k.
    +1 for either Marr or Fowler. Both do really nice work at "how are you making money on this?" prices. Fowler has really come a long way since he got into the game a shot while back, and Marr is kind of a sleeper IMO (not very well advertised, but a really skilled guy who's super nice to work with and fearless about trying our crazy ideas).

Fowler also made me a custom forged Honesuki/garasuki/deba-type thing to my own specs with extra length and weight and a jazzy hamon for just a little more than the **** ones. It rocks.

i understand the desire to have task specific tools but i honestly use my zakuri petty in place of a paring knife, boning knife, filet knife and a honesuki knife. and ofcourse anything a petty would be used for. i save my money to buy more gyutos

Yeah, I go back and forth on my feelings about specialization. I process enough poultry that a quest for the poultry Excalibur seemed fun / justified. I totally understand the minimalist approach, but there's not exactly anything minimalist about the guys that have a dozen gyutos: each with subtle differences for use in slightly different applications, seasons, moon phases, days of the week, etc.

ofcourse you only need one gyuto. but no one here is making purchases based on what they need.

Yeah, I got to the point where I was struggling to make a decision over which gyuto to try next when I finally thought "F**k it, I've got enough gyutos. I touch up the rest of my kit". So boning knives, petties and suji's have become the priority for now.

I actually ended up picking up a tojiro gokujo which I think will fit my style better. Don't know why, but I completely forgot about that type of boning knife. Still considering the honesuki though so the feedback is appreciated.

Cheers,
    Josh

well buy a 150 petty before you buy a boning knife. because i really prefer my petty over my boning knife for boning knife tasks. im refering to the straight boning knives not the curved ones.

I prefer my Honesuki over my petty for small stuff.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig