Shig

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DK chef

Reaction score
IMG_2581.jpg

IMG_2585.jpg

Wow Niclas, that is one fine collection of Shig's.
Very nice, thanks for posting.

Looks like Gengetsu handles on a few of those...? Beautiful regardless...

burnt chestnut handles are common in some regions... including sanjo where Shigefusa knives are made.

Very nice collection by the way.

Wow I got chills looking at those. Extremely nice expense you have there.

thank you all :) i will post some better pictures later with sayas, love your lineup Seth :) i got the Kurouchi petty at work, great size for a utility knife.

thoose with chesnut handles have been re-handled, that´s my cheap way to get it custom :) a great friend have done it for me, but he showed me how to do it so now i do it myself.

So many shigs, so many double bevels.
Thanks for posting. They are always great to see.

Heard a rumor about that western-shig... it has an urge to go to the north of Sweden. ;)

Nice collection btw. :)

Heard a rumor about that western-shig... it has an urge to go to the north of Sweden. ;)

Nice collection btw. :)

those rumours are wrong :D with that long distance to north Sweden, rumours can develope on the way and ending up wrong. but if the western shig is moving. the north of Sweden would be a great place for it, and the knife would for sure get a great pair of new shoes. :)

Niclas, not sure if this thread supposes to be a general shig photo collection or not. Seeing your collection makes my urge to get a double bevel shig grows. How does the western scale behaving? Does it have good fit & finish and/or any problem with shrinkage?

At the moment I only have a modest of four single bevel down here.

shigfamily.jpg

Hopefully, two more will join the family soon.

please feel free to post all shigs out there :) looking great Schanop, love to have more single bevels in my collection. the western behaves great, no problem with shrinking and and F&F is good, have talked with Maxim if we should rehandle it, but that´s just cosmetic reasons if i decide to do that. the handle fits the hand realy good.

Love the grind on the western shigi,it is on my top 3 best cutters.I miss my shigi:cry::cry:

The shig battle is won by the knives with patina on, thats for shure.

Thats a one sexy set chef, Im telling you. :)

DK, It looks like you got one of the 220 mm slicers. Do you think the handle is way too big?

This one just showed up at my door yesterday afternoon:

90329_1_b.jpg

(Photo courtesy EE.)

Just used it for the first time this morning. I may have a new "go-to" knife.

Somehow, I do not think that is a stock handle. Wowza!!:bigeek:

Yep, it's a 180. Hubby got it for me--all I had to do was fix the pump on the septic tank.

That's a real stunner. Are you gonna let patina cover the kitaeji pattern?

That's a real stunner. Are you gonna let patina cover the kitaeji pattern?

I like to think of it as enhancing the pattern--and yes. Cut protein tonight and BOY did it stink. Need that patina to build up!

Back