Around a month ago I was requesting info about No6 cleavers. After much thought I ended up buying a Mizuno No6.
Here are some first impressions, 1 week after receiving it.
* Bigger than expected. 235x110mm blade. But I am actually enjoying the length.
* Profile. Not too much belly. Less that other ones I had seen in photos. Coupled with the extra length, there are large portions on the front and back to use like a rather flat gyuto or nakiri. You can still rock nicely when required.
* Pretty heavy, but mostly due to size and full tang. Thinnish but not "laser". Spine is 3,9mm at the handle, tapers to 2.3 at the front.
* Grind. You can see the blade profile in the photos. I was expecting it to start convexing higher, but I guess it is a tall blade. However, tasks like horizontal slices in onions are much easier than expected. But food does stick a lot. Maybe inevitable for any such cleaver? Not sure.
* Finish. OOTB it was better that I expected. But one week later the scales shrunk and got worse. You can see it the photos. I knew about these kind of issues so no worries. I might get around to fixing them at some point but it is just aesthetic.
* Edge. OOTB it was not scary sharp. Just short of shaving arm hair. The 3rd day I gave it a 10 minute session on the stones (400grit to 3000grit then strop on 10K and 0.25 diammond loaded leather). Just a fiew strokes on each stage, nothing laborious. I could whittle hanging hair no problem. It was easier than any other knife I had tried to get this kind of sharp.
* Cutting. OOTB it cut much much better than expect with the kind of edge it had. The weight and geomtery helped the knife do all the work. This is what I was looking for buying a no6 and I think I am getting it. Reactivity is not an issue at all. Less reactive than all my other knives (takeda, shigefusa, cck). I haven't seen any reaction at all so far. Not even after first use on onions.
* Edge retention. I will update. Need to give it more time. It does seems to be at least at the same level as my Takeda and Shigefusa, but time will tell.
1 week in and a couple of cutting sessions later: https://plus.google.com/photos/10133...40599927742433
Thanks for reading.