Quantcast
Mizuno no6 Cleaver
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mizuno no6 Cleaver

Mizuno no6 Cleaver

Around a month ago I was requesting info about No6 cleavers. After much thought I ended up buying a Mizuno No6.

Here are some first impressions, 1 week after receiving it.

* Bigger than expected. 235x110mm blade. But I am actually enjoying the length.
    * Profile. Not too much belly. Less that other ones I had seen in photos. Coupled with the extra length, there are large portions on the front and back to use like a rather flat gyuto or nakiri. You can still rock nicely when required.
    * Pretty heavy, but mostly due to size and full tang. Thinnish but not "laser". Spine is 3,9mm at the handle, tapers to 2.3 at the front.
    * Grind. You can see the blade profile in the photos. I was expecting it to start convexing higher, but I guess it is a tall blade. However, tasks like horizontal slices in onions are much easier than expected. But food does stick a lot. Maybe inevitable for any such cleaver? Not sure.
    * Finish. OOTB it was better that I expected. But one week later the scales shrunk and got worse. You can see it the photos. I knew about these kind of issues so no worries. I might get around to fixing them at some point but it is just aesthetic.
    * Edge. OOTB it was not scary sharp. Just short of shaving arm hair. The 3rd day I gave it a 10 minute session on the stones (400grit to 3000grit then strop on 10K and 0.25 diammond loaded leather). Just a fiew strokes on each stage, nothing laborious. I could whittle hanging hair no problem. It was easier than any other knife I had tried to get this kind of sharp.
    * Cutting. OOTB it cut much much better than expect with the kind of edge it had. The weight and geomtery helped the knife do all the work. This is what I was looking for buying a no6 and I think I am getting it. Reactivity is not an issue at all. Less reactive than all my other knives (takeda, shigefusa, cck). I haven't seen any reaction at all so far. Not even after first use on onions.
    * Edge retention. I will update. Need to give it more time. It does seems to be at least at the same level as my Takeda and Shigefusa, but time will tell.

OOTB Photos:
    https://plus.google.com/photos/10133...40411792102897

1 week in and a couple of cutting sessions later: https://plus.google.com/photos/10133...40599927742433

Thanks for reading.

I get a google error when I click on your pic links.

Can't access the photos either.

I don't know why but I cannot edit my first post. Anyway.

Here are some new, hopefully public, links:

OOTB: https://plus.google.com/photos/10133...64808832458577

1 week: https://plus.google.com/photos/10133...64739037623105

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Wow great pics. Nice patina. Looks like a great cleaver. Only thing I kinda have a problem with is the handle. It is just my preference. When will it get some new shoes?
    Chewie's the man.

Thanks for sharing your impressions (and for the pictures, which now work).

What is the deal with scales that shrink like that? Cheap wood? Poorly stabilized? (Or not stabilized at all?)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    Thanks for sharing your impressions (and for the pictures, which now work).

What is the deal with scales that shrink like that? Cheap wood? Poorly stabilized? (Or not stabilized at all?)
    im wondering the same thing. i recently purchased a cleaver (gesshin ginga) and the handle was flush w/the rivets and everything was perfect. now, after a month or so ive experienced the same shrinkage(dont laugh). the handle on my cleaver is excellent. im guessing im supposed to treat it with mineral oil or something. help please!

So you're the one that bought that Ginga cleaver! I thought long and hard about pulling the trigger on that one myself, and noticed it sold while browsing Jon's site. It's a great looking cleaver (and handle), though I'm sorry to hear about your "shrinkage" issues.

Temperature changes? Humidity? How does one prevent it and/or fix it once it becomes an issue?

"shrinkage" issues.

Temperature changes? Humidity? How does one prevent it and/or fix it once it becomes an issue?
    Get a sugimoto and be happy is one solution :-)

New shoes!!!
    one man gathers what another man spills...