Mizuno no6 Cleaver

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ntsour

Reaction score
Around a month ago I was requesting info about No6 cleavers. After much thought I ended up buying a Mizuno No6.

Here are some first impressions, 1 week after receiving it.

* Bigger than expected. 235x110mm blade. But I am actually enjoying the length.
* Profile. Not too much belly. Less that other ones I had seen in photos. Coupled with the extra length, there are large portions on the front and back to use like a rather flat gyuto or nakiri. You can still rock nicely when required.
* Pretty heavy, but mostly due to size and full tang. Thinnish but not "laser". Spine is 3,9mm at the handle, tapers to 2.3 at the front.
* Grind. You can see the blade profile in the photos. I was expecting it to start convexing higher, but I guess it is a tall blade. However, tasks like horizontal slices in onions are much easier than expected. But food does stick a lot. Maybe inevitable for any such cleaver? Not sure.
* Finish. OOTB it was better that I expected. But one week later the scales shrunk and got worse. You can see it the photos. I knew about these kind of issues so no worries. I might get around to fixing them at some point but it is just aesthetic.
* Edge. OOTB it was not scary sharp. Just short of shaving arm hair. The 3rd day I gave it a 10 minute session on the stones (400grit to 3000grit then strop on 10K and 0.25 diammond loaded leather). Just a fiew strokes on each stage, nothing laborious. I could whittle hanging hair no problem. It was easier than any other knife I had tried to get this kind of sharp.
* Cutting. OOTB it cut much much better than expect with the kind of edge it had. The weight and geomtery helped the knife do all the work. This is what I was looking for buying a no6 and I think I am getting it. Reactivity is not an issue at all. Less reactive than all my other knives (takeda, shigefusa, cck). I haven't seen any reaction at all so far. Not even after first use on onions.
* Edge retention. I will update. Need to give it more time. It does seems to be at least at the same level as my Takeda and Shigefusa, but time will tell.

OOTB Photos:
https://plus.google.com/photos/101336701816245973145/albums/5760240411792102897

1 week in and a couple of cutting sessions later: https://plus.google.com/photos/101336701816245973145/albums/5760240599927742433

Thanks for reading.

I get a google error when I click on your pic links.

Wow great pics. Nice patina. Looks like a great cleaver. Only thing I kinda have a problem with is the handle. It is just my preference. When will it get some new shoes?

Thanks for sharing your impressions (and for the pictures, which now work).

What is the deal with scales that shrink like that? Cheap wood? Poorly stabilized? (Or not stabilized at all?)

Thanks for sharing your impressions (and for the pictures, which now work).

What is the deal with scales that shrink like that? Cheap wood? Poorly stabilized? (Or not stabilized at all?)
im wondering the same thing. i recently purchased a cleaver (gesshin ginga) and the handle was flush w/the rivets and everything was perfect. now, after a month or so ive experienced the same shrinkage(dont laugh). the handle on my cleaver is excellent. im guessing im supposed to treat it with mineral oil or something. help please!

So you're the one that bought that Ginga cleaver! I thought long and hard about pulling the trigger on that one myself, and noticed it sold while browsing Jon's site. It's a great looking cleaver (and handle), though I'm sorry to hear about your "shrinkage" issues.

Temperature changes? Humidity? How does one prevent it and/or fix it once it becomes an issue?

So you're the one that bought that Ginga cleaver! I thought long and hard about pulling the trigger on that one myself, and noticed it sold while browsing Jon's site. It's a great looking cleaver (and handle), though I'm sorry to hear about your "shrinkage" issues.

Temperature changes? Humidity? How does one prevent it and/or fix it once it becomes an issue?
sorry to hijack the thread but i think i have the same issue as the OP. yes 100 degrees summer days in louisiana humidity probably contributed. other than the shrinkage which doesnt affect performance the knife is perfect and worth every penny.:razz:

The handle on my Mizuno #6 cleaver had major shrinkage issues too.The best fix is some new shoes.....STOCK SUCKS!!

im wondering the same thing. i recently purchased a cleaver (gesshin ginga) and the handle was flush w/the rivets and everything was perfect. now, after a month or so ive experienced the same shrinkage(dont laugh). the handle on my cleaver is excellent. im guessing im supposed to treat it with mineral oil or something. help please!
Would love to read a review. Been eyeing that cleaver. :)

As far as I can tell every Japanese cleaver needs to be rehandled, and also might benefit from a rounding of the choil and spine.

To the OP: congratulations on the Mizuno! Now send it to Dave to be rehandled.

This is my favorite cleaver video, and it features the Mizuno: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9GzpSei6u0. Enjoy!

Regards,

Mark

Back