Quantcast
Vaseline on cutting boards
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vaseline on cutting boards

Vaseline on cutting boards

Has anyone had any experience using 100% petroleum jelly/vaseline to maintain cutting boards?

Chemically/physically it's very close to mineral oil, apparently, and available where I live . Try as I might, I can't find any mineral oil.

The Laxative isle in your drug store should have food grade mineral oil.

It might be sold as liquid paraffin too.

No idea about Vaseline, it is food safe though, during WW2 rationing in the Uk it was known to be used in place of butter to make cakes, though had the unfortunate side effect of being laxative.....

Quote Originally Posted by TB_London View Post

No idea about Vaseline, it is food safe though, during WW2 rationing in the Uk it was known to be used in place of butter to make cakes, though had the unfortunate side effect of being laxative.....
    So, eat like a king then chit like a goose?

Quote Originally Posted by add View Post
    So, eat like a king then chit like a goose?
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I have the same problem, no mineral oil. No laxatives based on mineral oil. No machine oil sold in hardware stores that is food safe (all have some additives).

I use board butter, or john boos wood oil or whatever I can import. It annoys me to death that I can't get hold of mineral oil.

In Sweden you can find mineral oil in the painters store. Medical grade....
    I use it for oiling the aluminimum mast on my boat and i get it there for that. I really have no idea what it is used for in relation to paint though.

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    The Laxative isle in your drug store should have food grade mineral oil.
    I wish, but I'm in Korea and have asked around in pharmacies here. Even did the same in Japan to no avail.

... Incidentally, I asked a few people in Japan last week how they care for their boards and the response was that they just keep them clean. No oils applied, apparently. Does anyone know anything about this? Anyone worked in a kitchen there?

Quote Originally Posted by TB_London View Post
    It might be sold as liquid paraffin too.
    Yup! Thanks, but I've tried that too. Different countries, different names to refer to same things.... In Korea they tend to use US English names for things, though.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinW View Post
    In Sweden you can find mineral oil in the painters store. Medical grade.... I really have no idea what it is used for in relation to paint though.
    Me neither. Hmm... But it's an idea to look in places like that. I know, for example, that mineral/paraffin oil is available here for industry or whatever. I wonder if there would be any danger in using medical grade oil versus food grade on boards?

I use pharmaceutical/medical grade mineral oil, I doubt you'd find food grade as being petrochemical based its indigestible and not used in food.

You want to use an oil, so it will soak into the pores of the wood and keep if from drying out, warping and splitting. If the board is in an environment that is normal to high humidity (i.e. NOT in a North American hot-air heated house in the winter), then it may not be a problem, which could be the case locally for you, don't know. Good habits also help, as in wiping down the board immediately, so it does not have water/fluids sitting on it. I don't think Vaseline is a good option, because it is a solid at room temperature. So, it will just sit on the surface and not really soak in. I suppose you could rub it in really well (maybe with a hot towel?), but my guess is that there would be some kind of greasy residue. Do they sell linseed/flaxseed oil locally as a dietary supplement? Can also be used and not as likely to go rancid as vegetable oil. If you can get medical grade mineral oil, get it and use it. It has very high purity. In reality, since mineral oil is a commodity item, it is probably the same cut as the food grade. But, medical grade is U.S.P. tested for purity and quality.
    THAT was the equation. EXISTENCE!...SURVIVAL..must cancel out..programming!

+ Reply to Thread