Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vaseline on cutting boards

I don't think Vaseline is a good option, because it is a solid at room temperature. So, it will just sit on the surface and not really soak in.
    I agree that Vaseline is probably not a good option, but not with the solid at room temperature reason. Board butter is solid at room temp, and a lot of people use some variation of that.

Do they sell linseed/flaxseed oil locally as a dietary supplement? Can also be used and not as likely to go rancid as vegetable oil.
    Flaxseed oil has a very short shelf life. About a week at room temp, a month refrigerated, and a year frozen. This might not be a good option either.

Cutty, you might just have to bite the bullet and order some board butter (or something like it) online. The cost might seem prohibitive, but a little bit of that stuff goes a long way.

Isn't baby oil just scented mineral oil?

-Aj

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    Isn't baby oil just scented mineral oil?

-Aj

i think baby oil is squeezed from babies.

seems to be available at amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ds+mineral+oil

a)Butcher block conditioner ( mineral oil adn bees Wax)
    b)Mineral oil

c)Boos mystery oil ( i suspect a mix of tung oil adn mineral oil..)

have fun

Ohhh, another potential source might be the veterinarian. Apparently horses quite often have indigestion problems and are given mineral oil.
    Medical grade is what i use and what was redily available in the US.

Good luck on finding it

Quote Originally Posted by unkajonet View Post
    I agree that Vaseline is probably not a good option, but not with the solid at room temperature reason. Board butter is solid at room temp, and a lot of people use some variation of that.
    I was thinking that, since it would not soak into the board, it would leave more of a vaseliny (vaselinish?) residue/potential taste. On a side note, Board Butter appears to be a mixture of mineral oil and beeswax. I also raise honeybees. Wonder if I should mix up some of my own and try it? Not sure of the ratio, though.

Flaxseed oil has a very short shelf life. About a week at room temp, a month refrigerated, and a year frozen. This might not be a good option either.
    I read somewhere that some steakhouses use linseed oil on their boards. Thought flaxseed oil and linseed oil were the same? Just researched a little more, and I think they have common source but different processes to produce. And, I think the stable version is not good to use on a board that contacts food.
    THAT was the equation. EXISTENCE!...SURVIVAL..must cancel out..programming!

Quote Originally Posted by narcnh View Post
    I don't think Vaseline is a good option, because it is a solid at room temperature. So, it will just sit on the surface and not really soak in. I suppose you could rub it in really well (maybe with a hot towel?), but my guess is that there would be some kind of greasy residue.
    Apparently, it can be okay. But yeah, that's what I'd worry about.

Cutty, you might just have to bite the bullet and order some board butter (or something like it) online. The cost might seem prohibitive, but a little bit of that stuff goes a long way.
    Shipping costs, shipping costs.......

And still interested if anyone knows about this: "... I asked a few people in Japan last week how they care for their boards and the response was that they just keep them clean. No oils applied, apparently. Does anyone know anything about this? Anyone worked in a kitchen there?"

i don't think vaseline would be too different from the beeswax coating i put on my boards, after oiling. just rub in well and wipe off well. the problem is that vaseline isn't going to penetrate the board well like mineral oil does.

Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it. My Boos edge grain cutting board is in fine condition and I only use mineral oil on it every couple of years. I'd find a picture of a bottle of mineral oil, load it on your phone and then show it to a local pharmacist.

Pharmacists should refer to it as paraffinum liquidum or perliquidum (the thinner variant)