Has Konosuke Stopped Accepting Direct Orders from International Customers?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I read that right (translation) he is just doing orders for local.

its actually that they stopped selling within japan because foreign sales have taken off so much and they are working hard to support that.

i tried to order a knife directly recently. if you try to order from konosuke in the US theyll just forward you to **** and you order through him.

You have to go through a US based distributor to get them.

Got it. On a related note--and I ask this as an innocent inquiry, not wishing to provoke--it seems that either **** is offering Fujiyama knives at deep discounts-20% to 30% plus, depending on the knife--over Konosuke's direct order prices, or that they are selling "Hawk" knives as "Fujiyama." The 270 "Fujiyama white #2" that **** lists at $399, for example, would cost 39,000 yen ($500 if my currency conversion is correct) plus shipping, while the "Hawk" white steel version of the same knife costs the equivalent of $402 before shipping. Anyone know which is the case?

There's a store in Toronto that carries Konosuke: Tosho knife arts.

unless youre getting something with hd steel, I really dont see any reason to buy from konosuke at all honestly. what knife are you looking to purchase?

Nothing particular at the moment, but I'm looking at adding some single bevels to my repertoire. Probably either a deba and a yanagiba or a mioroshi, which I would use in the way the Theory and CitizenSnips use theirs (whole fish and poultry fabrication, portioning, occasional slicing). If I go the latter route, the options for blue steel plus ebony handle are either Konosuke or custom from a brand that Korin or JKI carries. Just trying to get a feel for what's out there.

Tosho is a nice store, they have no problem getting custom work in from Konosuke for you, I think they ship anywhere. I'm not sure, I have never ordered, they are pretty close, only Konosuke and Takeda mostly though.

I have ordered from Tosho Knife Arts (an item I couldn't find elsewhere) and wouldn't hesitate to do so again. Relatively quick and inexpensive shipping (if I recall correctly) and they seem like nice people (little hand written thank you note on my receipt).

Back