Quantcast
Zakuri, Kochi, Gesshin Ginga White Review Request
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zakuri, Kochi, Gesshin Ginga White Review Request

Zakuri, Kochi, Gesshin Ginga White Review Request

Hey y'all,

Looking for some info on the above mentioned knives. I have a pretty good idea on how the Gesshin Ginga White will be (I have a buddy with Konosuke White and I can imagine that they are very comparable). Has anyone gotten the opportunity to play with the Kochi and the Zakuri? How does Kochi's V2 steel handle?

Thanks in advance! Always appreciate the info!
    It is our human duty to enjoy life. We’ve got to be greedy about living. We learned that greed is a vice, but that’s old. Greed is a virtue. Especially this greediness for life.

the Kochi V2 is awesome.

Is the V2 steel similar to Takefu V2C?
    It is our human duty to enjoy life. We’ve got to be greedy about living. We learned that greed is a vice, but that’s old. Greed is a virtue. Especially this greediness for life.

same stuff, AFAIK. the think the C is slightly purer. i doubt there is much in it. V2 is one of my favorite steels.

Yeah, the Kochi is a very nice and an excellent pure cutter. It cuts like a very, very thin knife but it's pretty stiff. It is a little tall... It's almost like a Takeda with tougher steel and impeccable fit and finish. The Zakuri (I've tried the AS which is not nearly as tough as the V2. There's some micro-chipping after cutting dry bread.) is a rougher finished, thick knife. It wedges some in larger, harder objects but it's also an excellent cutter. There is a little more stickage on the Kochi, as a result of the super thin geometry on the edge half of the blade.

So basically the zakuri will wedge in potatoes and carrots but glides through everything else?

yep. thats pretty much the trade off in my experience. thicker knives will occasionally wedge and thinner knives with flatter grinds will get alot of stickage. the korouchi finish on the kochi looks cooler if memory serves, its like a spotted pattern. but zakuris korouchi is still way nicer than moritakas...theyre both good values at their price points.

How does the Zakuri compare to a Hiromoto? I hated the thickness of the Hiromoto and the cladding I think had a lot to do with that...but I LOVED LOVED LOVED the steel. It was chippy but I was head over heels for how sharp it could get. I'm drawn to the Zakuri so I can have a knife in Aogami Super and Kurouchi, but I would be so excited if I could also have one that glides as easily through food as my Konosuke HD without being a laser.

Three months ago if I had come across this post I would have thought it was crazy and I would not have understood the AS and Kurochi and such; NOW not only do I understand the terminology but care WAY too much about the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by JanusInTheGarden View Post
    How does the Zakuri compare to a Hiromoto? I hated the thickness of the Hiromoto and the cladding I think had a lot to do with that...but I LOVED LOVED LOVED the steel. It was chippy but I was head over heels for how sharp it could get. I'm drawn to the Zakuri so I can have a knife in Aogami Super and Kurouchi, but I would be so excited if I could also have one that glides as easily through food as my Konosuke HD without being a laser.

In my experience, I don't particularly like Zakuri on large carrots and jicama or certain squash. Potatoes and even most sweet potatoes are fine. Hiromoto AS really doesn't compare. It's a very unremarkable knife, in my opinion. Even the AS on the Hiro is mediocre.

+ Reply to Thread