Quantcast
Zakuri, Kochi, Gesshin Ginga White Review Request - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zakuri, Kochi, Gesshin Ginga White Review Request

Quote Originally Posted by pitonboy View Post
    Three months ago if I had come across this post I would have thought it was crazy and I would not have understood the AS and Kurochi and such; NOW not only do I understand the terminology but care WAY too much about the answer.
    +1, but thats probably obvious. I'm also counting down the minutes until JKI opens so I can give Jon a call. I had to play phone tag with him last week--working in a kitchen on the East Coast makes the timing difficult.
    It is our human duty to enjoy life. We’ve got to be greedy about living. We learned that greed is a vice, but that’s old. Greed is a virtue. Especially this greediness for life.

I just verified that there is no noticable wedging using this 240 Zakuri on large Russet potatoes. Home fries are in the oven.

I've used both of them and my choice is the Kochi, for all of the reasons others have given.

Rick

How does the Kochi compare weight wise to the others?
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    How does the Kochi compare weight wise to the others?
    The Kochi I had an opportunity to use weighs 199 grams. The Zakuri is 216.

I have a 270 mm Zakuri gyuto I like very much but I'm am not any kind of minimalist in my kitchen knives. I would rather have the right knife for every job and this one is my heavy duty slicing and chopping blade. No laser for sure but I don't always need one. It also gives a new meaning to "cow sword" with its huge handle.

I've been asked to expand my answers in a PM, but I'll reply in the thread to allow everyone to see it.

The Kochi I have used is a kuro-uchi blade on generous loon from another forum member. It is one of the better kuro-uchi finishes I have seen, better than Zakuri, Moritaka, Takeda and Carter.

The Takefu V2 steel is the same steel that Yoshikane uses in his Tamamoku series of knives, and is the rough equivalent of Hitachi white #2. It sharpens just as easily, and in my experience, seems to have slightly better edge retention than the white #2 knives I've used - Konosuke, Masamoto and Carter. Gator has it listed in his steel database here: http://zknives.com/knives/steels/v2.shtml

Rick

Well Rick, what about the blade height? Do you think the Kochi is a tall blade? I asked Jon about it and he said it's 53mm. To me that's a little tall as I like knives between 46mm and 50mm. Granted an extra 3mm doesn't seem like that much, but my ideal height is 48mm. I really like the look of the Kochi and almost bought one until I found out how tall it is. I might just suck it up and get one anyway since in reality I seem to adjust to difference lengths and heights anyway.

is the 240mm or the 270mm 53mm tall?

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    is the 240mm or the 270mm 53mm tall?
    It's the 240mm and the length, according to Jon, is 243mm.