Quantcast
Zakuri, Kochi, Gesshin Ginga White Review Request - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zakuri, Kochi, Gesshin Ginga White Review Request

It's the kurouchi you guys are discussing, right? Does anyone know its weight? Unusually, Jon has not listed the specs for the Kochis on his site.

Quote Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
    Well Rick, what about the blade height? Do you think the Kochi is a tall blade? I asked Jon about it and he said it's 53mm. To me that's a little tall as I like knives between 46mm and 50mm. Granted an extra 3mm doesn't seem like that much, but my ideal height is 48mm. I really like the look of the Kochi and almost bought one until I found out how tall it is. I might just suck it up and get one anyway since in reality I seem to adjust to difference lengths and heights anyway.
    The one I used was a hair over 50mm. It didn't seem overly tall, and the height didn't cause any stiction issues, perhaps because of the combination of the grind and the kuro-uchi finish. If I was in the market for another 240, I'd jump on the Kochi.

... Ahh, I see. So the weight of a 240mm kurouchi is pretty much 200g. A certain site describes the knive as having 'a great in-hand feel... not too heavy, but not super light. Near the spine they seems to be more substanital, however, behind the edge, the are EXTREMELY thin.' So I'm imagining this knife as comforably between a heftier workhorse on one hand, and a laser on the other. Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    The one I used was a hair over 50mm. It didn't seem overly tall, and the height didn't cause any stiction issues, perhaps because of the combination of the grind and the kuro-uchi finish. If I was in the market for another 240, I'd jump on the Kochi.
    that Kochi is a mm or two shorter than normal, due to a bad chip in the heel that i took out. even OOTB, it was no where near as tall as, say, my "normal" Takeda (it was about the same height as my abnormally short Takeda, actually).

Quote Originally Posted by Cutty Sharp View Post
    ... Ahh, I see. So the weight of a 240mm kurouchi is pretty much 200g. A certain site describes the knive as having 'a great in-hand feel... not too heavy, but not super light. Near the spine they seems to be more substanital, however, behind the edge, the are EXTREMELY thin.' So I'm imagining this knife as comforably between a heftier workhorse on one hand, and a laser on the other. Anyone know?
    i would treat it much more like a laser, in use.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    measurements coming later today...
    At last!

Sponsors
    yeah... sorry for the delay. Getting orders placed and then taking measurements.

measurements would be great! down the road i hope you make a video for the kochi line. im a quite a fan of your videos.

Sponsors
    i can probably do that... just gotta find the time. Starting measurements now...

+ Reply to Thread