Food Release Video - My First

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
I yet again managed to cut myself badly while hand-finishing a knife (about 1/4 into my palm, luckily on angle), so this is as sharp as I got it with a sore and swollen hand (1K, 5K and 1M strop).

It's a very basic video, but you should get an idea. The knife in picture is 255mm gyuto with my latest grind and HT.

[video=youtube;R68FDJkQPXU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R68FDJkQPXU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

The balance between food release and ease of cutting looks near perfect on that knife. I managed to put a nice slice in my finger this Saturday after doing a major tip repair and thinning job. Feeling fatigued and next thing you know you have a swarf filled wound. I feel for you. Thanks for posting the video.

Very impressive! :thumbsup:

Hope the hand heals quickly.

Thanks.

I can function, but can't put pressure against palm, so fingers hold only . Daily dressing the wound. Hopefully will heal within a week. No swimming this week though. Damn.

M

Looks good. Sorry about the hand. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Ouch, sucks about the hand, good news is the knife looks great.

Don't cut the root end off your onion and you won't have to figure out which end to start your dice from. :razz: Nice work. Now let's get to making some knives.

Don't cut the root end off your onion and you won't have to figure out which end to start your dice from. :razz: Nice work. Now let's get to making some knives.

Haha, yes, now it's time to start making knives. Just placed an order for 170Lb of steel.

M

KNife looks great. Hope the hand feels better. I certainly will be ordering from u later this year.

Looks great! Sorry to hear about the hand. Hope it heals quickly.

Marko,

Sorry to hear about the hand, and I hope it heals quickly. I found that putting vitamin E on it helps speed the healing and minimizes the scar. If you have vitamin E in a gelcap, just make a pinhole in the gelatin and squeeze it out.

Rick

Marko,

Sorry to hear about the hand, and I hope it heals quickly. I found that putting vitamin E on it helps speed the healing and minimizes the scar. If you have vitamin E in a gelcap, just make a pinhole in the gelatin and squeeze it out.

Rick

:plus1: that has worked very well for me for three out of my four surgeries.

Also, looks like the new profile / grind / HT is working well.

Marko,

Rick

At this point, I am putting antibiotic on the wound, but once it starts healing, I will follow your advice. I have plenty of Vitamin E, my dog gets it in his food for his coat.

M

At this point, I am putting antibiotic on the wound, but once it starts healing, I will follow your advice. I have plenty of Vitamin E, my dog gets it in his food for his coat.

M

Raw Honey is another option...

Marko, so sorry to hear of your wound. You are getting some good healing advice from the forum. I hope it heals quickly, but don't rush back into action too soon.

Thanks guys. I am resting it today, but tomorrow I need to tough it out and go back to work. I am behind in my work and besides, I have some members coming over for rope cutting test and saya making, so I need to get working.

M

Looks great combo of Ht, profile, and grind. hope the hand makes a quick recovery and doesn't get in the way to much. Have some of the members do some videoing of the festivities, or there will be some:bat: :justkidding:

Ooosh, just saw the thread. I hope your hand heals quickly, Marko.

Looks great Marko! Hope your hand heals quickly, I darn near cut the tip off my index finger, if it wasn't for the bone/fingernail I would have. CA glue fixed it! :D

Hope the hand heals quickly!!

Hope the hand heals quickly!!

Thanks folks. Swelling is gone down, so I just keep dressing the wound and try not to put too much pressure on it when working. I wear a glove, to keep the bandage in place. So far it is manageable.

I just got lucky this time that I cut myself on angle. If the cut were perpendicular to my palm, I would probably have to go to ER.

M

If you really wanna test the food release on a potato, you should peel it then soak it in water overnight in the refrigerator. Whole different ballgame.

Indeed, there are those as interested in knife release as food release . . . bandaids are our friends.

If you really wanna test the food release on a potato, you should peel it then soak it in water overnight in the refrigerator. Whole different ballgame.

OK, will do that and make another video. Any other suggestions?

Indeed, there are those as interested in knife release...

Still working on improving that. :( A silver lining is that ultimately you get a better knife -hopefully no stone is left unturned by then.

Hand almost healed (luckily I heal pretty quickly).

M

Soaked taters and a Push cut next vid.When you pull cut you finish the cut with the thinnest and the shortest part of the blade.A pull cut is the best technique for food release for me.

Soaked taters and a Push cut next vid.When you pull cut you finish the cut with the thinnest and the shortest part of the blade.A pull cut is the best technique for food release for me.

Yes, it releases best on pull cuts on most things I cut, and some things are better released on push cuts than other. For instance, tomatoes and potatoes releases pretty well on push cut, but apples stick.

I think I am at a good compromise point (heat treatment and geometry) and will start sending knives out and continue improving as I go.

M

Back