Quantcast
Korin's Summer Sale!! 15% off knives!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Korin's Summer Sale!! 15% off knives!

Sponsors

Korin's Summer Sale!! 15% off knives!

Hi everyone!

Our knife sale had begun! Please let me know if there is anything I can help you with or if you have any questions regarding products.

We also revamped the website to be easier to navigate and added/edited past information. Check it out!

http://korin.com/Knives

Cool. So did you ever find out whether or not those Ittosai Kotetsu western style knives are actually 63 HRC?

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Cool. So did you ever find out whether or not those Ittosai Kotetsu western style knives are actually 63 HRC?
    Hi! Yes, Mr. Sugai came home today so I just asked him. He says, yes that is what the Ittosai company tells us. He also told me to tell you that the HRc scale is not always going to be 100% accurate.

Sponsors
    Sorry my answer was delayed by the way. D:

Quote Originally Posted by Korin_Mari View Post
    Hi! Yes, Mr. Sugai came home today so I just asked him. He says, yes that is what the Ittosai company tells us. He also told me to tell you that the HRc scale is not always going to be 100% accurate.
    Hmm... That's surprising. Thanks for looking into it.

Good timing, sorted my petty and pairing shortage right out!

Mari, whats your take on the Suisin high carbon honesuki? I really enjoy the petty from the same line. For the price, its performance is great.

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by Muscles View Post
    Good timing, sorted my petty and pairing shortage right out!
    Awesome! Let me know if or when you purchase them. I will be happy to engrave your name or something into the petty knife, if you would like.

Sponsors
    Hmm... That's surprising. Thanks for looking into it.
    No problem. Just FYI, we are discontinuing the Ittosai line soon and replacing it for something else. Maybe better. This is just something that I happened to overhear at work, so I have no release date yet.

It's weird, I feel like a lot of Japanese companies don't use the HRc scale. This might just be me.

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by tkern View Post
    Mari, whats your take on the Suisin high carbon honesuki? I really enjoy the petty from the same line. For the price, its performance is great.
    The Suisin high carbon honesuki is as you mentioned, performs great at a nice price. To me, the shape and weight it feels lighter than other carbon honesukis. The carbon that Suisin uses is called nihonkou, which is considered the standard carbon with nothing else mixed in. I asked Mr. Sugai how he felt about it (since I've never personally used one) and he told me that they Suisin carbon knives are much easier to sharpen than the other carbon knives. Some other brands like Togiharu and (sometimes) Masamoto use a carbon called Junkou, which is comparable to blue carbon steel. It's harder (and a little more expensive), because it has other compounds to keep it's edge retention for longer. The difference between nihonkou and junkou is similar to the difference between blue and white carbon steel. Even if blue steel will stay sharp for longer, nothing can really compare to the sharpness and blade of pure white steel.

Will the honesuki be used in a commercial kitchen for hours and hours as one of your main knives, or will you be using it every know and then? If you are using it for hours and hours, you might want to consider a harder carbon for the sake of saving time. If not though, I highly recommend the Suisin carbon.