Korin's Summer Sale!! 15% off knives!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korin_Mari

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Our knife sale had begun! Please let me know if there is anything I can help you with or if you have any questions regarding products.

We also revamped the website to be easier to navigate and added/edited past information. Check it out! :D

http://korin.com/Knives

KnifeSale.jpg

Cool. So did you ever find out whether or not those Ittosai Kotetsu western style knives are actually 63 HRC?

Cool. So did you ever find out whether or not those Ittosai Kotetsu western style knives are actually 63 HRC?

Hi! Yes, Mr. Sugai came home today so I just asked him. He says, yes that is what the Ittosai company tells us. He also told me to tell you that the HRc scale is not always going to be 100% accurate.

Hi! Yes, Mr. Sugai came home today so I just asked him. He says, yes that is what the Ittosai company tells us. He also told me to tell you that the HRc scale is not always going to be 100% accurate.
Hmm... That's surprising. Thanks for looking into it.

Good timing, sorted my petty and pairing shortage right out!

Mari, whats your take on the Suisin high carbon honesuki? I really enjoy the petty from the same line. For the price, its performance is great.

Good timing, sorted my petty and pairing shortage right out!

Awesome! Let me know if or when you purchase them. I will be happy to engrave your name or something into the petty knife, if you would like. :)

Hmm... That's surprising. Thanks for looking into it.

No problem. Just FYI, we are discontinuing the Ittosai line soon and replacing it for something else. Maybe better. This is just something that I happened to overhear at work, so I have no release date yet.

It's weird, I feel like a lot of Japanese companies don't use the HRc scale. This might just be me.

Mari, whats your take on the Suisin high carbon honesuki? I really enjoy the petty from the same line. For the price, its performance is great.

The Suisin high carbon honesuki is as you mentioned, performs great at a nice price. To me, the shape and weight it feels lighter than other carbon honesukis. The carbon that Suisin uses is called nihonkou, which is considered the standard carbon with nothing else mixed in. I asked Mr. Sugai how he felt about it (since I've never personally used one) and he told me that they Suisin carbon knives are much easier to sharpen than the other carbon knives. Some other brands like Togiharu and (sometimes) Masamoto use a carbon called Junkou, which is comparable to blue carbon steel. It's harder (and a little more expensive), because it has other compounds to keep it's edge retention for longer. The difference between nihonkou and junkou is similar to the difference between blue and white carbon steel. Even if blue steel will stay sharp for longer, nothing can really compare to the sharpness and blade of pure white steel.

Will the honesuki be used in a commercial kitchen for hours and hours as one of your main knives, or will you be using it every know and then? If you are using it for hours and hours, you might want to consider a harder carbon for the sake of saving time. If not though, I highly recommend the Suisin carbon.

Awesome! Let me know if or when you purchase them. I will be happy to engrave your name or something into the petty knife, if you would like. :)

Ordered 3 knives last night (aus time)... Thanks for the offer but no engraving necessary :)

How long does this sale last? I may call later this week to order.

How long does this sale last? I may call later this week to order.

Sale will last till the end of July. If you would like a free engraving and you cant reach me (ext 286), feel free to let the customer service representative know I offered through Kitchen Knife Forum, or if you order online just put it in as a memo with your username at checkout. I'll take care of the rest. :)

I was excited when I saw the promotion ad, until I read the fine print, "excludes Masamoto" :sad0:

A little off topic, I've never purchased any knives through Korin yet, I was curious if you guys do custom order? Saw a few items on Masamoto catalog that I'm really interested but not sure how to order it. And do you guys offer bolster color choices on the Masamoto knives like JCK does? That'd be awesome...:D

I was excited when I saw the promotion ad, until I read the fine print, "excludes Masamoto" :sad0:

A little off topic, I've never purchased any knives through Korin yet, I was curious if you guys do custom order? Saw a few items on Masamoto catalog that I'm really interested but not sure how to order it. And do you guys offer bolster color choices on the Masamoto knives like JCK does? That'd be awesome...:D

Hi! Welcome to the forum. (I just saw when you joined :) )

Yea, unfortunately we had to exclude Masamoto from our sale. Masamoto and Ms. Kawano are negotiating, because they would like to be included in our sale, so hopefully they will be included during our next sale. We will see.

Yes! We can place an order for items Korin doesn't sell, but Masamoto has in their catalog. We also offer bolster color choices on Masamoto knives as long as it is available through Masamoto. Feel free to PM me details of what you would like, and I will give the estimate time and costs.

Hi! Welcome to the forum. (I just saw when you joined :) )

Yea, unfortunately we had to exclude Masamoto from our sale. Masamoto and Ms. Kawano are negotiating, because they would like to be included in our sale, so hopefully they will be included during our next sale. We will see.

Yes! We can place an order for items Korin doesn't sell, but Masamoto has in their catalog. We also offer bolster color choices on Masamoto knives as long as it is available through Masamoto. Feel free to PM me details of what you would like, and I will give the estimate time and costs.

thanks for the quick respond Mari. you got mail :thumbsup:

I'll be in NYC July 25-30. Are instore items on sale also?

Thanks

I'll be in NYC July 25-30. Are instore items on sale also?

Thanks

Yup! :D
Unfortunately, I don't know if I'll be in the office during that time, but please let one of the showroom guys know your username when you come in. :)

Back