Quantcast
Can someone point me toward a decent balsamic for daily use?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone point me toward a decent balsamic for daily use?

Can someone point me toward a decent balsamic for daily use?

I have been trying different stuff here and there for the past few months and I was wondering if anyone can point me in a good direction? I found something that is pretty good at a specialty Olive oil store, but I think there is something cheaper that is just as good.

Thanks
    Jared

Get the traditional stuff, 12 years old or 12 transfers is very affordable. 15 years one is not too expensive yet. You can always get one from the makers who bottle in their own bottle, and not the round tulip shape bottle which is endorsed by the balsamic vinegar consortium.

Another option if it's going to be diluted or cooked, or put in salad, saba and vincotto would be good.

much more awesomer
    Honestly, it depends on the use. At home we're about as picky with our balsamic and EVOO as we are with our wines. That is to say: not very. For daily use, we like Costco's Kirkland-branded, imported Modenese balsamic vinegar; it must have a numbered "Consorzio" stamp and/or seal on the bottle to guarantee it is an authentic vinegar. There are authentic balsamic vinegars from wine regions outside of Italy, but the seal makes it very easy to confirm you're getting a balsamic made from wine grapes. The Kirkland Signature stuff is a bargain, and is perfectly fine for quick dressings, or to make simple reductions to put on strawberries or to to dress a Caprese salad. I also keep a "tradizionale" on hand, usually aged 7 to 15 years, but it gets used very sparingly -- almost always on late-summer tomatoes from my kitchen garden (or a Caprese made with them). The traditional stuff can get spendy, though. I have a tough time justifying the expense.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

For every day use we used the Costco Kirkland. Perfectly fine but not very exciting.
    For fine use the cheap is not really achievable, but ohhhh so good!

much more awesomer
    Yep, exactly. A couple of drops of 12-year-old traditional on a chunk of Reggiano cheese is one of those rare treats in life!
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Wait till you try a teaspoonful of 25/30 years old by itself, or with some flakes of parmigiano reggiano.

I still haven't put up the dough for the really good traditional stuff, at some point in life I plan on buying a bottle. At this point it will have to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by rahimlee54 View Post
    I have been trying different stuff here and there for the past few months and I was wondering if anyone can point me in a good direction? I found something that is pretty good at a specialty Olive oil store, but I think there is something cheaper that is just as good.

Thanks
    Jared
    do you have a Marshalls or Tj maxx store near you, head to the kitchen section, they buy close outs from gourmet stores and sometimes you can find really good balsamic for cheap and lots of spices too. there is one in the highpoint mall.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by schanop View Post
    Wait till you try a teaspoonful of 25/30 years old by itself, or with some flakes of parmigiano reggiano.
    The aged over 20 yrs stuff is so good. You just can't have enough.
    Chewie's the man.

much more awesomer
    Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    do you have a Marshalls or Tj maxx store near you, head to the kitchen section, they buy close outs from gourmet stores and sometimes you can find really good balsamic for cheap and lots of spices too. there is one in the highpoint mall.
    Big Lots, too. Actually rather shocking that I can get high-end, gourmet ingredients at a Big Lots in tiny Plattsburgh, NY, that I have trouble finding in a foodie-haven city like Montreal.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky