Quantcast
Resources for making sashimi and sushi
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Resources for making sashimi and sushi

Resources for making sashimi and sushi

I know some of you guys make sashimi and sushi (maki and nigiri) at home and I'm wondering where you looked for info on how to make it. I'm looking for a good source of info just to get me started on how to place the cuts for the best results for sashimi, how to make rice for sushi, and other basics like that. Is a book the best place to start or some sort of class?

I would suggest taking a class. I find that making and nicely shaping nigiri is a physical skill more than a conceptual one, and it really helps to have someone demonstrate it to you and then correct you as you try it again and again and again. Likewise with making nice-looking maki, but to a greater extent with nigiri in my opinion.

Nobody else has any thoughts/info on this? Come on guys, you must be using your yanagibas for something.

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    I know some of you guys make sashimi and sushi (maki and nigiri) at home and I'm wondering where you looked for info on how to make it. I'm looking for a good source of info just to get me started on how to place the cuts for the best results for sashimi, how to make rice for sushi, and other basics like that. Is a book the best place to start or some sort of class?
    Google and youtube have all kinds of info on sushi making. The basics are simple rest is practice

+ Reply to Thread