Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page?

Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page?

Just in case Dave wants to go on a snipe hunt for an obscure bug, I figured I'd comment on a little peeve of mine.

KKF has a bad habit of asking me "Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page? All changes made in the editor will be lost.", when I haven't even CLICKED on the editor, or when I am actually trying to make a post.

I look at page 1 of a thread. Read it. Click on 'Next Page' to keep reading...
    "Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page? All changes made in the editor will be lost."
    Click 'Yes'.

Then I read the page. I click on the editor to reply, type something. Then I need to find a funny emoticon, so I click "Go Advanced" to find it.
    "Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page? All changes made in the editor will be lost."
    Click 'Yes'.

I find the funny icon, then add it, finish the post, click "submit reply".
    Oh thank God, it didn't ask me again.

I notice that someone said something in the time I was playing with the post, and I want to retort. So I use the quick reply box and type a response. I click "Post Quick Reply".
    Click 'Yes'.

LEAVE ME THE EFF ALONE!!

If it's important, I type it in Writer and then copy/paste. Often, I will just highlight the text and copy it to the clipboard, and if something goes wrong, I just paste it back in, takes like 2 seconds. But that happens once a year. What happens daily?
    Click 'Yes'.

I agree this is a rather annoying sign to get ...

I've never had that happen but it sounds very annoying.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, is if you type something out and then decide to not post it - the software asks you if you are sure you want to leave the page?

Is this what happens?

It happens even if i do not write anything in a reply box.

In your example it would be perfectly fine if it came up.
    Last edited by RobinW; 07-02-2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Added second sentence

Quote Originally Posted by RobinW View Post
    It happens even if i do not write anything in a reply box.

In your example it would be perfectly fine if it came up.

Ok that's not cool at all.

From vBulletin....

If you're receiving the message consistently, this means that AJAX communication is somehow failing in your browser. You don't have any settings or addons that prevent the server from pushing new information to your browser without reloading the page do you?
    If it works in one browser like Firefox or Chrome and not another like Internet Explorer. It would be a browser issue. When you go to save something, the system will attempt to send the data to your server via AJAX. This reduces load and page reloading. If the AJAX fails or a success message does not get processed by the Browser after a period of time, the Javascript (running in the browser) performs a standard submission for your data. This is what causes the dialog box to appear. The system is trying to load another page so we give you a warning.

If the edits do not save, then your browser is failing to send the information to begin with or otherwise interfering with the form submission.

I made a change to AJAX in vB, please let me know if this helps....or not

Cool, I'll let you know if it subsides. It was doing it when I am leaving the page without clicking the box, or even when I am trying to leave the page because I am, in fact, posting a comment.

Thanks for checking it out, I didn't think it was that big of a deal, more just a minor annoyance.