sharpening

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennis7490

Reaction score
I am sure this has been covered, so please direct me if possible.

I have shun, Henkels (Old, 40 years) and just ordered a Super blue from chef's Knives to go. I use a regular old fashioned steel to touch up edges. I'm assuming this is a no no with good knives.

What to use?

thanks,

Dennis

Dennis7490,

Have you done any resharpening yourself in past?
Your personal opinion; how skilled do you feel for this task?
reason I'm asking is that you listed few very nice blades and incorrect re sharpening could ruin your collection.

If your steel is fairly smooth it should be no problem, if it has a coarse texture it will probably cause little chips in the edge of the Shun.

Yes, I have done resharpening in the past, but compared to the cognoscenti on this forum I would consider myself a novice at best. I have an oil stone with a rough and fine grade. I have the Chef's choice for Asian Knives #316. I have a King Waterstone #1000/#6000.

I have "converted my western edges to the chef's Choice Asian edge (15 degrees).

So, I would say I have rudimentary skills, but need to learn a lot more.

thanks,

Dennis

I believe Murray Carter is famously known for obtaining amazing edges using only a king 1K, 6K and newspaper to strop. He has also sharpened upwards of 40K blades?

Steels are best for softer german steels, for the japanese blades, I typically maintain occasionally with a strop loaded with a compound. You'll find that they need much less touch ups anyway than a german blade

I think you're set, for now with your King stones, as long as you can keep them flat. You can do touch-ups on the 6k with a couple of edge trailing strokes per side. If you mess up, you can reestabilish your bevels on the Chef's Choice.

Yes, I have done resharpening in the past, but compared to the cognoscenti on this forum I would consider myself a novice at best. I have an oil stone with a rough and fine grade. I have the Chef's choice for Asian Knives #316. I have a King Waterstone #1000/#6000.

I have "converted my western edges to the chef's Choice Asian edge (15 degrees).

So, I would say I have rudimentary skills, but need to learn a lot more.

thanks,

Dennis

Looks like you have everything you need for re touch your blades.
there are few very good guides about Do's and Don't

few quick tips

make sure you edge is equal angle from both sides, sometime it's better to start from beginning and then hone the edge Vs wasting Hours to reshape with high grade stones/steel's.
keep your sharpening steel or stone clean
don't waste your time to make it razor sharp German steel is softer and will lose the edge fast and you have to use your sharpening skills again.

Grazzi! Just got a Moritaka Petty 150mm in KP-150 Blue.

Out of the box my old Henckels is sharper. But I will touch it up and see.

Let us know how things work out. If you decide you want more awesome in your stones, we have some favorites. :)

Back