Quantcast
Knife Draws First Blood - Cutlery 1, Fingers 0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knife Draws First Blood - Cutlery 1, Fingers 0

Knife Draws First Blood - Cutlery 1, Fingers 0

So, this evening I sharpened my three new Yamawaku knives. First, I have to say that it is very cool to do, but I don't have to tell that to this group. Putting a better edge on a knife feels like I am actually accomplishing something. BUT, I also learned a lesson about attentiveness. After finishing the Nakiri I ran it through the deburring felt block. As the blade exited the block, it dropped just a bit, less than a couple of inches, and the rounded front edge bounced against the end of my pinky. In the past with my old knives this would have done nothing, and at first glance it appeared to not have done any damage. At first glance. After a couple of seconds, holy cow, you would have thought I struck an artery. After a lot pressure, some gauge and tape, everything is fine, but, wow. The cut is less than half an inch long, but it went in pretty deep. With virtually no effort. Pretty impressive, actually. Think tomato skin. Note to self - NEVER lose concentration when working with these knives, either cutting or sharpening. All three Yamawaku knives are now seriously sharp. Have started comparing Konosuke to Yamawaku to Moritaka and will continue the experiments through the holiday weekend, as I am finally around for a few days and can do some cooking. Will report my experiences, once I think I have something of interest to contribute.
    THAT was the equation. EXISTENCE!...SURVIVAL..must cancel out..programming!

You now own the knife!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

The knife isn't yours until it tastes your blood. I think that is the saying.
    Edit: Spike got there while I was typing.

Lol. I think that now the knife owns me. I've named her Selene - wicked sharp and likes the taste of blood.
    THAT was the equation. EXISTENCE!...SURVIVAL..must cancel out..programming!

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Lol last night I was sharpening a vintage knife I bought from Son. It got me too, don't ask how, but right on the right hand side of my thumb knuckel on the left hand.

Just wait until I take off that handle.
    Chewie's the man.

much more awesomer
    LOL! I brought my gyuto to work (along with an over-ripe pineapple, which is why I brought the knife to work in the first place!) and was showing off its awesomeness to my awed co-workers. A split-second's inattention and I put the tip through my index finger, almost to the bone. It is so sharp that I barely felt it, as the blood spurted forth. I laughed like a maniac and told my shocked cohorts, "I OWN THIS KNIFE! MWUHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!"

Congrats, narcnhnch!
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Oh, good you guys are getting closer to each other bonding spirits and everything.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    If you don't cut yourself or someone else, you aren't doing it right.
    No matter how high the throne,
    there sits but an ass.

much more awesomer
    Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Oh, good you guys are getting closer to each other bonding spirits and everything.
    You have a red-phone hotline direct to Johnson's Band-Aid department, right?
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    You have a red-phone hotline direct to Johnson's Band-Aid department, right?
    No, but I do have stock in the QR Wound Seal company...
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

+ Reply to Thread