Knife Draws First Blood - Cutlery 1, Fingers 0

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narcnh

Reaction score
So, this evening I sharpened my three new Yamawaku knives. First, I have to say that it is very cool to do, but I don't have to tell that to this group. Putting a better edge on a knife feels like I am actually accomplishing something. BUT, I also learned a lesson about attentiveness. After finishing the Nakiri I ran it through the deburring felt block. As the blade exited the block, it dropped just a bit, less than a couple of inches, and the rounded front edge bounced against the end of my pinky. In the past with my old knives this would have done nothing, and at first glance it appeared to not have done any damage. At first glance. After a couple of seconds, holy cow, you would have thought I struck an artery. After a lot pressure, some gauge and tape, everything is fine, but, wow. The cut is less than half an inch long, but it went in pretty deep. With virtually no effort. Pretty impressive, actually. Think tomato skin. Note to self - NEVER lose concentration when working with these knives, either cutting or sharpening. All three Yamawaku knives are now seriously sharp. Have started comparing Konosuke to Yamawaku to Moritaka and will continue the experiments through the holiday weekend, as I am finally around for a few days and can do some cooking. Will report my experiences, once I think I have something of interest to contribute.

The knife isn't yours until it tastes your blood. I think that is the saying.
Edit: Spike got there while I was typing.

Lol. I think that now the knife owns me. I've named her Selene - wicked sharp and likes the taste of blood.

Lol last night I was sharpening a vintage knife I bought from Son. It got me too, don't ask how, but right on the right hand side of my thumb knuckel on the left hand.

Just wait until I take off that handle.:evilgrin:

LOL! I brought my gyuto to work (along with an over-ripe pineapple, which is why I brought the knife to work in the first place!) and was showing off its awesomeness to my awed co-workers. A split-second's inattention and I put the tip through my index finger, almost to the bone. It is so sharp that I barely felt it, as the blood spurted forth. I laughed like a maniac and told my shocked cohorts, "I OWN THIS KNIFE! MWUHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!"

Congrats, narcnhnch!

Oh, good you guys are getting closer to each other bonding spirits and everything. :D

If you don't cut yourself or someone else, you aren't doing it right.

Oh, good you guys are getting closer to each other bonding spirits and everything. :D
You have a red-phone hotline direct to Johnson's Band-Aid department, right? :D

Cut myself lots of times, and then proceeded to think, that's lucky... no cut. Then the phantom red spots appear some minutes down the line. And you actually look for the cut. Very cool, very quick to heal, but annoying when it happens.

In the speed salsa video while slicing the peppers, I actually cut myself through the glove, without cutting the glove... :dontknow:

In the speed salsa video while slicing the peppers, I actually cut myself through the glove, without cutting the glove... :dontknow:

I had to go watch that one. Could you have poked yourself with the tip, or was it an actual cut?

w/o pics here...

May as well be:

"An awkward, large thumbed alien probed me in slumber."

:D

This is why I think that "sharp knives are safer" is complete BS. I never cut myself will my old Henckels knives, but within minutes of handling my first "good" knife, I was tending to a clean cut. That wasn't the last cut either.

Crazy it didn't cut the glove.. I'm not sure I even understand that.

I always seem to tag myself with each and every knife, the first time I'm using it at work. Cuts from sharp knives heal soo much faster...

Crazy it didn't cut the glove.. I'm not sure I even understand that.

I always seem to tag myself with each and every knife, the first time I'm using it at work. Cuts from sharp knives heal soo much faster...

My home cook version of that is that I do fine when preparing the meal, then either cut myself drying the knife or the first time I sharpen it. :dontknow:

They are always clean cuts though and that is better than the alternative.

I once heard of a culinary student who went to wipe their blade on their apron Edge first and nearly cut the artery in their leg. I stopped pretty quickly.

First time I actually held and handled a good J-knife in a shop I remember somehow I nicked myself and, of course, had no idea until the rouge appeared. But as I was talking to the sales guy and attempting to appear knowledgeable and cool, it was quite awkward. I ended up hiding my hand in my pocket, then abruptly cut the conversation short.

LMAO. I was trying to look cool and competent handling knives in the shops in Tokyo; it wasn't until I returned home with my first Japanese blade that I realized how crap my skills really are!

LMAO. I was trying to look cool and competent handling knives in the shops in Tokyo; it wasn't until I returned home with my first Japanese blade that I realized how crap my skills really are!

Well.....while I may (emphasis on MAY) be passable as a home cook, my knife skills are, hmmmm, I'll just say - nascent. After watching the various videos from the links in the different threads on this forum, if any of you can cut like that, I prostrate myself at your feet. Heck, I cut myself just sharpening the darn thing. Now, when I hold Selene, I can hear her saying, "You want another piece of me, be-atch?" Maybe someday......

If having blood drawn makes the knife yours, at least three people can claim ownership of my Devin Thomas ITK petty :cool2:

A surprisingly high percentage the knives I've made have drawn blood at one point or another during their creation. Sometimes it's from the cutting edge, sometimes from another part (or from a tool trained on the knife being created). Often it's a burn instead of a cut (more painful, less gory). I guess a maker owns their knives at one point...

Back